Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@newbix wrote:

I'm hoping they bring out a new update asap. After what happend in the US and now here one would think Sony

devs knew what they was doing. But it seams not.

The Amazon app is a total mess, pretty unusable in 4k mode. Also the random xx.app has stopped working is not acceptable either.

I personally think if Sony cannot get Google to work with their hardware, then they need to produce a Tizen like OS aka Samsung.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

It's most likely that when Sony does resume the software rollout it will be with a new build number. 

They are most likely trying to sort out or crush out all the bugs so new build number means we all will need to upgrade agian which is fine as long as it does not go belly up again. 

I upgraded on launch day Feb 22nd via USB download and my KD-43X8307 2015 model works perfectly fine. Iv had a few snags and a few youview error I.e this app has stopped but after a system restart not had a problem scene that's over a week now. I did a factory reset as that's always advisable to do. 

So let's what's this space... And see what happens next. 

I just don't understand why their is so much inconsistency with all these TV's some work perfectly and some.done even on the same models . It has to do with the different chip sets used in 2015 and 2016 models possibly I recon Sony must have made a big error somewere.. Mmm

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Marcd51 wrote:

It's most likely that when Sony does resume the software rollout it will be with a new build number. 

They are most likely trying to sort out or crush out all the bugs so new build number means we all will need to upgrade agian which is fine as long as it does not go belly up again. 

I upgraded on launch day Feb 22nd via USB download and my KD-43X8307 2015 model works perfectly fine. Iv had a few snags and a few youview error I.e this app has stopped but after a system restart not had a problem scene that's over a week now. I did a factory reset as that's always advisable to do. 

So let's what's this space... And see what happens next. 

I just don't understand why their is so much inconsistency with all these TV's some work perfectly and some.done even on the same models . It has to do with the different chip sets used in 2015 and 2016 models possibly I recon Sony must have made a big error somewere.. Mmm

I would say these are the main reasons for failure:

1. Over the air installs done with weak / flaky wifi resulting in corrupted download and thus crashing the system when updating. Incremental updates would prevent the majority of these issues.
  2. Lack of communication from Sony that a factory reset MUST be done after firmware update.
  3. People not listening to others when they ***** and moan on the forum and are advised to do a factory reset because "its too much hassle"
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Risc0n wrote:
  1. Over the air installs done with weak / flaky wifi resulting in corrupted download and thus crashing the system when updating. Incremental updates would prevent the majority of these issues.
  2. Lack of communication from Sony that a factory reset MUST be done after firmware update.
  3. People not listening to others when they ***** and moan on the forum and are advised to do a factory reset because "its too much hassle"

1. The download self-checks before installation, and if it finds itself corrupted, will not run.

And what would an incremental update be - Lollimallow, or Marshipop? :thinking:

2. I installed Marshmallow without a subsequent Factory Reset, for test purposes, and encountered no issues.

3. How do you do a Factory Reset when you have the amber/green flashing issue, and cannot regain control of your TV?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi in a nutshell I totally agree with you!!  

I phoned and complained many times to Sony UK tech support here in London about their lack of communication to its customers. 

And I also agree that their should have been smaller updates during the year and planning that way means that when a major software update happens most customers TV would be in a better position for a firmware update. 

So yes Sony as big as they are and they are one of the biggest market leaders and don't get me wrong they produce some of the very very best tech out there including mobile phones how the hell do they manage to keep screwing things like this all the time I just dont get it. 

Surely by now they are about to release 3rd Generation Andriod TVs don't they want to get decent press this time beats me. 

I still love Andriod and I'm a massive tech head and will.still like Sony but boy they resly know how to P--is people off. 

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Risc0n

1. I doubt that. TV does not start the upgrade before it checks the file. Even if you have it on a stick, it first gets copied to internal memory.

2. Factory reset does not have to be done. After all, every system file has already been replaced and user setting can't break the system. If it can, then it is reproducible and it is a bug. And cache can be cleaned without reset.

3. Yes it is to much hassle since we don't have root and we can't perform even a manual backup of any data that is not on SD card. So any app that stores something there is gone. Not everything implements google play games system. Not to mention settings and all that. Channel list is the only thing that can be exported to USB.

profile.country.NL.title
hija31

@Risc0n

1. I didn't update via wifi but via USB.

2. As a owner of multiple Android devices I know that Factory reset MAY help if there are failures after update, but I didn't reset any of my phone's ( HTC M8, M9 or M10 ) , Nexus 7 ( 2013 model ). I did reset Samsung S5 but it didn't help ( solved after update )

3. I did reset my TV, but it still didn't help.

So, what you're saying is nonsense, because none of the points above should matter if the update was checked and controlled before release.

Simply, Sony [profanity removed by moderator] with this , and that's why they pulled the update back.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@royabrown wrote:

@Risc0n wrote:

1. The download self-checks before installation, and if it finds itself corrupted, will not run.

And what would an incremental update be - Lollimallow, or Marshipop? :thinking:

2. I installed Marshmallow without a subsequent Factory Reset, for test purposes, and encountered no issues.

3. How do you do a Factory Reset when you have the amber/green flashing issue, and cannot regain control of your TV?

It might self check, does not mean it is doing a good job of doing so. An incremental update is one that would only be few 100mb, something that most modern OS offer. Currently updates are full fat firmwares.

I also installed without issues, until a few days later when I started getting random reboots or xx.app has stopped working. If you only "tested" then it is safe to assume you most likely did not test over at least 7 days.

The amber / green issue I believe is caused by the OTA update and its delivery system. I have yet to see anyone have the issue with USB. 

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@hija31 wrote:

@Risc0n

1. I didn't update via wifi but via USB.

2. As a owner of multiple Android devices I know that Factory reset MAY help if there are failures after update, but I didn't reset any of my phone's ( HTC M8, M9 or M10 ) , Nexus 7 ( 2013 model ). I did reset Samsung S5 but it didn't help ( solved after update )

3. I did reset my TV, but it still didn't help.

So, what you're saying is nonsense, because none of the points above should matter if the update was checked and controlled before release.

Simply, Sony [profanity removed by moderator] with this , and that's why they pulled the update back.

What issues are you having? Also is not nonsense it is based on years of using multiple operating systems whether in beta or full release. You cannot just say because it did not help in your particular circumstances. 

Data checking is not beyond error. Especially if the underlying system is flaky in itself which Android clearly is.

profile.country.NL.title
hija31

What issues are you having? Also is not nonsense it is based on years of using multiple operating systems whether in beta or full release. You cannot just say because it did not help in your particular circumstances. 

Usb set as internal storage disappearing.

Data checking is not beyond error. Especially if the underlying system is flaky in itself which Android clearly is.

I know that data checking is not beyond error, but it looks like they didn't check at all, because there are so many issues with this Sony build of MM.