Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Risc0n

An incremental update is one that would only be few 100mb, something that most modern OS offer. Currently updates are full fat firmwares.

And how is that any different? If something is broken in the update that makes the HW useless it doesn't matter how big the update is. And stuff like that usually happens on kernel level. Which you either update or do not. And kernel state on android is quite behind. Even on mobiles where nougat brought kernel 4.4 SONY still uses 3.18 which is now EoL. The other one they use is 3.10 which will reach its EoL in October.

And having Mediatek as a supplier really does't help.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Risc0n wrote:

I also installed without issues, until a few days later when I started getting random reboots or xx.app has stopped working. If you only "tested" then it is safe to assume you most likely did not test over at least 7 days.

Not safe to assume that at all - I was testing for precisely the sort of thing you are talking about, using the TV, with Marshmallow, normally, except when testing to check that certain known issues on Lollipop were gone on Marshmallow, and looking to see if it would blow up.

It was solid as a rock, though I wish it hadn't been - if I could have had, early, some of the issues that have come to light with Marshmallow (which go way beyond anything that doing or not doing a Factory Reset could affect, by the way), the update rollout might have been halted sooner 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
ultrablob
Explorer

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before. I can't Cast from my mobile or my tablet to my TV

I have a Sony KD-55XD9305.

I have a LG G3 with Marshmallow and a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus with Marshmallow.

When i try to cast(Youtube or SVT Play(Swedish Television) app) from my mobil or my tablet, clicking the cast-ikon my mobile/tablet tries to connect to units connected in the same network, in this case my TV, my TV is connected in the same network as my mobile and tablet.

The connection times out on both on my mobile and tablet resulting in asking for the code displayed on my TV's screen but there is no code displayed on my TV.

Where do I activate the option to receive external connection from mobile devices to my TV?

I looked everywhere, there is nowhere to accept or deny/ enable or disable connections through Crome Cast in my TV, isn't Chrome Cast built in to the TV.?

Is this another bug in the failed Marshmallow update?

If I open the Youtube app in my TV and click on the Cast ikon it only displayes the same info/message as the Youtube app in my mobile and tablet but without the code response that my TV is suppose to give when I try to connect from my mobile or tablet.

My TV is connected through LAN to my LAN/Wireless router. My router is a D-Link DIR-868L

I had no problems with my retired Samsung TV, it connected just fine with my mobile devices.

ultrablob
Explorer

This is on the Marshmallow update. 

My mobile is a LG G3 and my tablet is a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus.

When I select to to cast from mobile/tablet it just times out with asking for the code displayed on my TV's screen.

There is no code on my TV's screen for streaming, this is on Youtube and the Swedish app SVT Play.

Both apps support to stream to Chrome Cast/TV, isn't crome cast built into Android TV?

My TV is a Sony KD-55XD9305.

There is no code displayed on my TV. What am I doing wrong?

Is there a setting on my Sony TV to enable connections to stream from external devices?

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I don't think you need a code for chromecast casting. Codes are used for the Chromecast plug in device but not when it's built into the tv. If it's timing out try going into apps on the tv and doing a force stop on Chromecast then starting it again (you sometimes have to press force stop twice for it to stop)

ultrablob
Explorer

Well Youtube in my Tablet says:

Be sure your TV is connected to the same Wifi.

Doesn't Android support connecting through LAN-Wifi and Wifi-LAN for streaming in Cast?

I also get the message, your TV has to be on the same Wifi, you can also the use the code to connect.

ultrablob
Explorer

Here is an image of the message I get on my Table, this is in swedish, it says to reply the code shown on my TV's screen, the owner can also find the code in the Google Cast app.

Screenshot_20170308-034042.png

There is no code to find in the settings for the Chrome Cast app in my TV, is this a bug in Marshmallow?

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I'm not sure what the solution is. I was asked for a code when I used to have a Chromecast plug in device but I don't remember being asked for a code when using the Chromecast built into the tv. And yes it supports LAN, I use the built in Chromecast via LAN. There's no mention of a code being needed on the official guide. https://support.google.com/androidtv/answer/6123347?hl=en-GB

ultrablob
Explorer

@Garymjh wrote:

I'm not sure what the solution is. I was asked for a code when I used to have a Chromecast plug in device but I don't remember being asked for a code when using the Chromecast built into the tv. And yes it supports LAN, I use the built in Chromecast via LAN. There's no mention of a code being needed on the official guide. https://support.google.com/androidtv/answer/6123347?hl=en-GB

I solved it!!!

I had to turn of the security funtion MAC Filter (Only Allowed Devices To Connect) in my network (router), though both my TV and Tablet whas in the list. Maybe it was my own fault. I have 11 devices in my network so maybe I missed to add a device to the filter list correctly.

Strange though that both my tablet and TV could connect to internet when the MAC filter was enabled but not connect to each other.

profile.country.IE.title
gkmoran
Explorer

Another bug to add to the list. After updating and factory reset Bravia Sync no longer works for me. It does not detect my sony bdv e2100, worked fine pre-marshmallow.