Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

Samsung? isn't that the firm who are currently advertising how they tesr everything on thier phones from water to dropping and bending to make sure that their products are great, pity they catch fire

They're all as bad.

profile.country.SE.title
joeldeluxe

@Will_cain Also Samsung dosen't update the software on old models so that they are easy hacking targets: 

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/worried-cia-hacked-samsung-tv-heres-tell/

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Anonymous

No one called from Sony(not your fault) So I did and they sent some tech guys here today.

As everyone knows it's got to have a new motherboard which(if sony say ok) will take 7 days.

Why don't Sony give out the software for the PC that will re-flash the rom, just like Samasung\google\LG do on their phones?

Many could have a up and running TV by now.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

They probably can only reflash it via some hardware interface (JTAG).

Frightening to know that a firmware update can brick the TV and that there is no chance for the customer to recover from it via bootloader, probably being a severe flaw in the hardware design.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

They probably can only reflash it via some hardware interface (JTAG).

Frightening to know that a firmware update can brick the TV and that there is no chance for the customer to recover from it via bootloader, probably being a severe flaw in the hardware design

A JTAG to USB is only £12. Sony has lost a huge amout.

Why hasn't this forum got a reply quote button?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I imagine a system where you just put the firmware file on a USB pen drive and the bootloader starts flashing it upon reboot. That's how it is supposed to work nowadays.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Kuschelmonschter

Prates. OMG, pirates everywhere. Let's lock everything down.......

I get that some thing has to be that way because of the providers, then SONY also is a content provider. But as we all know, majority of buyers wouldn't know how to do it anyway, the rest just wouldn't bother and at the end, everything gets pirated anyway.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Well I rang up Sony UK tech support yesterday here were I live in West London just to try and find out what's going on or any other news that they could share with Marshmallow update. 

I own KD-43X8307 and I am one of the few lucky ones as it feels that I am lucky that update worked 100% for me a few snags buy just after over a week tv preformance is great I'm very happy. 

Anyway the guy on the phone did not say very much and he was supposed to give me a ring back with an update at some point I'm not goona hold my breath! 

I said to him that this must be a hudge emmbassiment to Sony as they finnaly had this chance to redeem them selfs and get some good feedback and press instead they realy fxxup just after  update was launched. I also said how the hell could Sony get it this wrong. I said Sony had well over a year to pretty much perfect this update. 

He said that the rollout will be on hold for a while mmmmm..he we go. He also said their is a big investigation going on. I throught as much. 

I then asked him is it most likely that when the roll out resumes it  will be a new build number and he said most likely. And thats it I will try again next week. The more we kick up the better. 

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

@vispen74 wrote:
I have a game controller attached as well, and have random power ons at
night. I will disconnect the USB receiver at once and see if it will change
anything.

So no more random power on since i disconnected the game controller from the USB-port! If you have problems with TV random powering on, and settings for remote on via network is set to off, du you have something in your USB-port that might causing it?

I will buy a bluetooth connected gamepad instead and try it out.

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

@newbix wrote:

-//- 

Why hasn't this forum got a reply quote button?

Skärmklipp.JPG