Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
AnthonyMK
Explorer

Brutal... installed the update when it was released before it was taken away and my TV is more unstable than it has ever been

restarts shortly after power on, an array of "application/service has stopped" after that

absolute *****e

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@AnthonyMK wrote:

Brutal... installed the update when it was released before it was taken away and my TV is more unstable than it has ever been

restarts shortly after power on, an array of "application/service has stopped" after that

absolute *****e

Naturally I can assume you did a factory reset before coming on here?

profile.country.GB.title
AnthonyMK
Explorer

You can, i work in development as a technical arch so can handle nuances of upgrading some firmware.

The software and support for this tv/range in the 1year+ i've owned it has been shocking.

The threads on here sadly make for a depressing read. 

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

Sony have been in touch to say that yes I do need another motherboard. But they are sending me out another TV.

Most liky a refurbished one but that doesn't bother me.

I won't be updating until I read good reports  :slight_smile:

xanadu5579
Explorer

vispen74 wrote:

vispen74 wrote:
I have a game controller attached as well, and have random power ons at
night. I will disconnect the USB receiver at once and see if it will change
anything.

So no more random power on since i disconnected the game controller from the USB-port! If you have problems with TV random powering on, and settings for remote on via network is set to off, du you have something in your USB-port that might causing it?

I will buy a bluetooth connected gamepad instead and try it out.

@vispen74, pleased to hear that it worked for you. 

Not your normal issue but a simple fix, I would be interested to see if the bluetoot ones perform any better, is there a recommended one other than the Dualshock 4?

profile.country.GB.title
TobyCG

Luckily I managed to dodge this update.

Unluckily my TV has been sitting in a corner, broken for over three weeks now as Sony and their approve repair jokers try to source parts, despite this being the second failure and taking all of three days to fix the first time.

TV has been non-functional for a total of 27 days since the start of February.  Total joke.

Isn't it time we all got together and tried to get BBC Watchdog on the case.  I have no confidence they could achieve anything but, at this point, I'd settle for just embarassing Sony on national TV and costing them some sales as they patently don't give a toss about their customers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @TobyCG

Is the issue your having in relation to the local dimming one that you reported in Aug last year or is this a completely different issue altogether? 

Keeping this thread on-topic.  If you have an issue that you need help with, can you please create a new thread.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
TobyCG

No this is total failure of the TV which won't turn on.  Known issue with the 'dsp' board I think it's called.  Failed for the second time!

Nothing to do with the firmware update obviously but was just venting.

profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

I can't see any possible good way forward with this. Presumably all the people on this forum will switch update off until the next effort is released and stable. Unfortunately we'll not know if it is stable because no one dare install it except the basic TV users who will get it by accident and are not aware of this forum. Based on Sony's black hole approach to feedback we'll not find out whether it's any good. The chances of an imminent release that is solid are looking more and more remote. Taking back TVs to replace the MBO can only mean they don't know what broke it and are using the dead ones to find out.

A low take up of the next error ridden release  will give Sony an excuse to say that they will not be releasing Nougat because of the low take up of Marshmallow. You've got admire their cunning.

profile.country.RS.title
bbrks011

Now I am realy scared with all the previous comments in this thread.

Automatic update goes deffinitely to off!!!!

From now on, I will be using two external receivers and my Sony XD85 as a monitor. I have to admit though, the picture on this monitor is just stunning :slight_smile: