Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
MillerTronic
Explorer

Hello I done the same installed update on the first day, was having random restarts but went into settings and turned off auto download ( was origally off when i stumbled across this blog) and now seems to be behaving properlyish, but [profanity removed by moderator] sicking the way Sony are handling this, they don't really care so long as there selling products what they need is them all to blow up THEN they might start to listen [profanity removed by moderator].

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

Well,  [profanity removed by moderator]  [profanity removed by moderator]  [profanity removed by moderator]  [profanity removed by moderator]  [profanity removed by moderator]  [profanity removed by moderator]  [profanity removed by moderator]  [profanity removed by moderator]. Don't you all  [profanity removed by moderator] agree there's too much profanity being [profanity removed by moderator] removed around  [profanity removed by moderator] here!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@angelacr - Nicely done and rather amusing too :slight_smile:

As many are aware, these forums are for everyone (i.e. general audience) - therefore swearing is against the forum rules.  Some will be filtered out with ***** and others will be edited by moderators.

However it does hopefully highlight the fact that Sony are watching and reading these forums.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Hmm. So the only input Sony ever has on these forums is to censor language. That's worthy of swearing about but i better just say it's a jolly poor show. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

@Anonymous have you been able to get any idea yet as to how widespread (i.e. numbers involved) that this debacle has been ?   

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @Mooly01

No - Ive never asked.  However it depends on what the exact question/issue is (i.e. the Green/Amber issue) - Debacle can be widely defined and open ended.

However more to the point, even I did get numbers for XX issue, I certainly would not be able to post them !

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@ all of you.

Perhaps, constraining complaint to this little backwater of the web suits Sony very well.

An alternate location, Reddit for example, in time, may apply greater leverage. But I don't hold out much hope.

Others have suggested approaching consumer programme editors for some air-time for the issues we continue to face. In reality, UK media use enormous quantities of Sony hardware and the cynical me assumes a cosey relationship that no one is going to upset.

So unless we as a group can force the harsh light of publicity on Sony's TV division we are up **** Creek.

There are enough of us though to chip away where ever TVs or Sony is mentioned on public fora. Just tell the honest truth about Sony Android TVs everywhere and anywhere. Do that long and often enough and maybe the honorable Japanese Television Manufacturer may eventually be Honorable.

However, the silent majority here will most likely continue to remain silent. So we're [profanity removed by moderator]!

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

HI @Mooly01

No - Ive never asked.  However it depends on what the exact question/issue is (i.e. the Green/Amber issue) - Debacle can be widely defined and open ended.

However more to the point, even I did get numbers for XX issue, I certainly would not be able to post them !

Thanks anyway. As an ex technician I was kind of curious. Had it been a massive issue then I would have thought more could have been turned up on the issue, but I haven't seen much tbh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@  angelacr wrote:
@ all of you.
Perhaps, constraining complaint to this little backwater of the web suits Sony very well.
An alternate location, Reddit for example, in time, may apply greater leverage. But I don't hold out much hope.
Others have suggested approaching consumer programme editors for some air-time for the issues we continue to face. In reality, UK media use enormous quantities of Sony hardware and the cynical me assumes a cosey relationship that no one is going to upset.

------------------ 

Well I've twice been on the receiving end of problems with Sony and both those were widely reported, including on the BBC technology websites and new bulletins in general. One such instance was that when performing a rescan of Freeview channels (new channels had become available) on an older Sony TV and it would report zero channels available. Depending on the action you then took you could delete all previous channels and render the set unable to tune anything in. Sonys answer was to wait for an Over Air Download which would correct the issue. Er NO, because the set could not now receive such a signal. A heated but fruitful call to Sony resulted in a technician calling with a laptop, software update and CAM module connector to flash the new software into the TV. All done in minutes without even having to touch the TV (apart from plugging the laptop in)

The other problems widely reported were with certain HDR recorders having problems with the EPG. There was huge outcry when this issue happened as many units were affected and Sony were darned quick to act. The issue happened a couple of times at later dates and again Sony were quick to sort the compatability problem out. 

This is why I just wonder how much of an issue this Marshmallow update really is in terms of numbers affected. No consolation to those experiencing issues I know, but it would be interesting to know more.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@Mooly01

"This is why I just wonder how much of an issue this Marshmallow update really is in terms of numbers affected. No consolation to those experiencing issues I know, but it would be interesting to know more."

Remember, if you come late to the party you won't know what has gone on before. Some of us go back to early 2015. Marshmallow may be an improvement but the current Android version is Nougat: the current security patch is March 2017. I hate to think what security bugs are in my TV's software.

My TV will not factory reset; it just restarts and carries on as normal. I cannot engage standby. Well, I can, in the sense that  the machine stands by, but wake-up causes it to reboot every time. And if you've tried talking to Sony Support you'll know that you can get more help from a 5 year old child and you come off the phone wondering why you ever bothered. I've concluded that must be their plan; they are a large corporation; they know what they do.

As of this moment my DNS server has provided 4,070 lookups today. My Sony TV in standby waiting to crash when I switch it on has requested 2673 of those lookups. And yes my machine is using the latest Marshmallow I loaded from USB. So am I happy with Sony TV division? No. But if you think the sun shines from Sony, I'm very pleased for you.

profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

An alternate location, Reddit for example, in time, may apply greater leverage. But I don't hold out much hope...

I've been writing to Computer Active they often report on IT disasters but so far I've not had a response. If loads of us write to them they might want to do an article.

The normal Email is letters@computeractive.co.uk

If you think Sony owe you compensation etc try writing to consumeractive@computeractive.co.uk

Got to be worth a shot

Cheers