Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Okay.. Well I managed to download Chrome browser from the play store and logged in using my Gmail account that I use for all my devices and download Chrome.

It does not have its own app to click to launch but it does install as you said.

In the end I did not need to install a sideload app at all. As I just use the mic on the remote and say ''lunch chrome browser '' and it launches fine.

Chrome works quite well and relatively fast but their is no arrow to move around so much better than that crappy Opera browser . I even tried Using the Andriod remote app on my mobile but still no luck to get a pointer to work .

So it works but does not seem to be fully optimised yet real shame for the moment.

Maybe Google will optimise it at some point and make it properly available via the play store. That would be great.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone

profile.country.GB.title
iOllivier

To find chrome go to Settings -> Apps -> Downloaded Apps -> Chrome -> open

To get the pointer use Sony's SideView app Side View App

To Lock screen rotation if you ever manage to load app designed for smartphones only Set orientation App

To Find out if the android app is usable on your tv search for the latest versions here: downloadatoz.com or apkpure.com ( this is how I found usable Now TV App version here in the UK for Sky TV streaming service.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi thanks alot for that both look great I'm goona give those ago.

I am also from UK, West London in fact and have Now TV as well. If I can get both Now TV and UK TV on demand APK's to work that would be great.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 smartphone

Added 5th April 

Thanks alot for that realy helped. Iv downloaded Sony ''sideview'' app to be fair pretty good app I'm impressed and gave me the pointer that I needed to use on the page.

I also downloaded both on my mobile and Andriod TV app called ''file commander '' and linked my Google Drive cloud to it. So I downloaded the APK files and the shared it via goggle drive app and installed on my TV.

I have KD-43X8307 2015 with new Andriod 6.01 update all it works pretty fast no issues so far.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I installed the now tv apk and the stream is a stuttering mess that's unwatchable.Tried it on a variety of tv settings with motionflow off etc.  I don't know why it's a mess as it should behave in the same way it would on an android phone or tablet. What was your experience with it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh wrote:

I installed the now tv apk and the stream is a stuttering mess that's unwatchable.Tried it on a variety of tv settings with motionflow off etc.  I don't know why it's a mess as it should behave in the same way it would on an android phone or tablet. What was your experience with it?

NowTV is not a supported app on these TVs.

See these two thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/now-tv-app/m-p/2198935

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Android/Will-there-be-a-native-for-Sony-Android-TV/td-p/308068/

The last update from NowTV:

NowTV2.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Thanks Quinnicus. I still don't know why the picture on the sideloaded now tv apk is so bad it's unwatchable. (The leanback compatibility is not an issue if you have a bluetooth keyboard but the stream itself is terrible)  I also don't know why the app is on LG and Samsung tv's but not Sony. But there we are. 

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Guys.. Well I'm playing around tonight.

Iv downloaded the Now TV APK file all installed 100%.

Annoying that it rotates the wrong way round so going to download the rotate APK app and see how we go.

If I get decent results streaming wise I'll let you all know.

I tried the UK TV demand channel and yes the streaming on that is terrible not sure why either. Even if it's only for tablet or smartphone the stream should be at least reasonable.

If Now TV looks crap then I'll just have to carry on using the Box.

Also my tv has Youview and strange thing UK TV demand is supported on the app but not on Andriod TV which is soooooooo annoying hopefully they realy should get these apps supported on Andriod Platform

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh wrote:

I still don't know why the picture on the sideloaded now tv apk is so bad it's unwatchable.

Assuming that @Marcd51 comes to the same conclusion - I can only guess that the Android TVs do not support whatever codec NowTV are using and therefore using software decoding.  But ultimately I dont know :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Okay folks an update from me tonight..

Well after installing Now TV APK file installed 100% had to use orientate app managed to log into my Now TV amount but as soon as I went to stream live channel Sky 1 it comes up with error 9. Looked it up and it's something to do with not been rooted device. Anyway can't be bothered anymore with that so I'll just stick to Now TV black box.

Otherwise iv got Amazon and E-bay apps working fine. Thanks to using the Sony sideview app makes it much easier it's a very good app.

So when will this so called '' new statement '' from Sony come out or will this be six months in the Waiting... Mmmm...

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

"UPDATE: Android Marshmallow revised timetable - 5 April 2017"

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/138486

So the new update will be here in april.  Lets see if Sony are up to the job.