Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
mbmapit
Explorer

It says they will release the new rollout plan in April not the update.
profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@mbmapit wrote:
It says they will release the new rollout plan in April not the update.

I stand corrected.

But if sony doesn't release a nearly bug free update very soon they will be in trouble.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Yep agree. Sony are doing what they did last time around.

They will give us the dates that the new rollout will commence.

I have a feeling we are looking between late April to early May to complete rollout this time.

Also funny enough I get a email from Sony this morning saying that another new firmware update  32.3.A.2.33 including now Google March security update is available for my Xperia Z5.

In all the years I have owned mobile phones and thats alot I'm 37 soon iv had Samsung few Sony naming the K750i and back to Sony iv never know a Company issue so many new updates I can't praise Sony enough for that that's faster than Samsung!

So why in the hell can't Sony TV/Audio department development team take leaf out of their own mobile division and learn to get these update dates out faster or better still get their team that work in their mobile division and work in the Sony Andriod TV they clearly seem to be doing far better.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 smartphone
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Totaly agree! Sony needs to nail the new Marshmellow MK 2 update period if they don't they will be in very serious trouble and it may even go to court it's a very serious matter as alot of customers don't have working TV's or it will either give them seriously bad press and ahead of their new 3rd Generation Andriod TV they could potentially losse alot of money over this issue .

Sent from my Sony Xperia™Z5 smartphone
profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Marcd51 wrote:
Totaly agree! Sony needs to nail the new Marshmellow MK 2 update period if they don't they will be in very serious trouble and it may even go to court it's a very serious matter as alot of customers don't have working TV's or it will either give them seriously bad press and ahead of their new 3rd Generation Andriod TV they could potentially losse alot of money over this issue .

Sent from my Sony Xperia™Z5 smartphone

If sony slip up again then us in the UK will have to get in touch with BBC watch dog program.

I know I will.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Yes agree with you totally ! . I would have thought by now Sony have got the message loud and clear considering all the trouble this has caused to all of us concerned.

Technically speaking it would be MK3 Marshmallow as this update was in fact released in the US market last year .

If they balls it up again I really do think Sony would have serious implications and it could mean they may even drop Android format altogether after the 2017 range ?? It does raise a lot of questions more than answers .

I to will also go to BBC Watchdog as well if all fails yet again .

But ...........Fingers crossed it works out just fine . I want it work and want Sony to succeed . Their will be some issues still I am pretty sure Android is open source it will never be bug free that’s it nature but not to a point that it bricks our TV mobiles or impairs the full TV experience we paid for .These TV’s are not cheap .

I want the Android TV planform to last for many many years it has the complete potential to outperform all the other bespoke Smart TV platforms out their Samsung Tizen ,LG Web Os and even Panasonic Firefox OS .

One of the biggest advantages with having Android as a platform that we all take for granted including my self is Goggle maintains security updates pretty much on a monthly basis now as an example my Xperia Z5 as I type this I’m downloading the new firmware for Nougat with March security update you will not get this sort of thing with any of the other OS’s on the market unless I am corrected on this .

Plus it still in development so Facebook to come all social media apps amazon eBay and more. I am a optimistic person as you would have guessed by now .
profile.country.RS.title
bbrks011

Well, since you are mentoning different OS versions......we must not forget......just imagine IOS on a smart TV. :slight_smile:

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

I got a bit away from this thread but I think I didn't miss that much.

So in 1 week there will be 2 month that Sony released EU update and we are far far far away (like in Shrek) of getting a fix update because Sony didn't even release a PLAN yet !!!!

Does it meen that after 2 month Sony doesn't even have a plan ???

Seriously ? I be courious to see how many devs they have on Android TV because it's just a shame.

So what now ? In a week or 2, they are gonna give us a new roll out date maybe to july, we are gonna wait to july then to end of july and getting it maybe in august or september but will it work or are we gonna have a new postpone after 2 days of availability.

It confirms that we are never gonna get nougat and in the same time google will release android 0 (8.0) and Sony will still struggle to have 6 working ^^

Shodney

One of the reps on the US forum is saying "later in Spring 2017", which translated to Sony Time means August / September. This is what's happened on literally every other update since 2015, so I don't see it being any different now. They haven't earned the nickname "Soony" for nothing.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones who got the update before they pulled it. It didn't brick my TV, but now I get 2 or 3 "[APP] has stopped working" popups each day (and always just when you get to a good point in a movie, or a crunch point in a game - online gaming in particular is lots of fun when you get a giant screen-blocking popup that won't go away until you reach for the remote).

My plan was to get an Nvidia Shield and set that as the default input, so I could move on with my life and forget that Sony's software even exists. Unfortunately the pop ups and reboots happen regardless of which input you're using, so no matter what I do I'll have a constant reminder of how useless Sony are.

Wonderful.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

I think I will look in to getting my money back. Then buy a LG OLED TV.

I've had enough of Sony for my life time.