Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

Is the update coming OTA? I haven't had an update in months!

profile.country.HU.title
vlevi70

Tha latest information is, that the Oreo update is suspended, due to sound problems.

It was in february.

profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

When releasing firmware updates, Sony always keeps a close eye on the roll-out to ensure our customers enjoy a smooth and satisfying experience. 

We identified that our latest Android 8.0 Oreo update can occasionally cause a no sound symptom from certain Sound Bars, A/V Receivers or Home Theater Systems if the TV has been on standby for a long period of time. Unfortunately, due to this potential connectivity issue which we perceive as an inconvenience for some of our customers, we’ve decided to postpone the Android 8.0 Oreo automatic firmware update (v6.5830). 

For customers that have downloaded the update and are currently unable to hear sound—via your home audio device—please visit the following article for our recommended workarounds.

However, for customers that do not own a Sound Bar, A/V Receiver or Home Theater System and would like to experience the new features and functionalities on offer, the update is still available to download manually on the support site. 

Note: If you are using one of the home audio devices mentioned above, we strongly recommend that you wait for the next update, which will rectify this potential issue.

Our engineers are diligently investigating the root cause at this moment, and a new firmware will be released in the near future to resolve this anomaly. To stay informed, please regularly visit or bookmark this page.

We thank you for your understanding and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

profile.country.GB.title
LGSAMy

Almost 3 months to fix an audio issue that was not there previously , not a great effort .

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@LGSAMy wrote:

Almost 3 months to fix an audio issue that was not there previously , not a great effort .

Totally agree with you...really lazy software developers indeed...

profile.country.GB.title
Russ_64
Explorer

Totally agree - I have the XE93 and I will not update to 8.0 as it is just too risky.  Anything could happen and brick the TV (which is working just fine now).

This is the reason that I am thinking to buy the new Panasonic OLED and not another Sony (plus I do not like their designs (kick-back stands).

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What a meaningful post!
Any TV has firmware onboard and there are complaints on any brand (look at the recently released lg c8 .031 if you like).
Plus how does it relate to the kick back design?!? Apart that imho is wonderful you can choose a different stand also in the Sony lineup.
profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@rooobb wrote:
What a meaningful post!
Any TV has firmware onboard and there are complaints on any brand (look at the recently released lg c8 .031 if you like).
Plus how does it relate to the kick back design?!? Apart that imho is wonderful you can choose a different stand also in the Sony lineup.

Yeah, comment on the design of the Sony TV is really superfluous...

But seriously just give us back working native video app that can bitstream multichannel audio like before without crashing and stuff and everything will be perfect...

All those crap video players from Google play have audio delay problems and are out of sync with video...

profile.country.GR.title
Labros7545
Explorer

Sony plays dangerous games against its clients.There are numerous posts in this forum and in other AV forums on the net about people complaining for the latest Android updated.I will just mention a few like unresponsive tvs when internet is connected, in some extreme cases hardware failure of the ethernet cards, issues with Netflix, broken ARC, unresponsive HDMI CEC, broken internal video player, only support for fat32 on internal storage units and some people reported endless koops of restarts.

Now Sony claims they hold back the automatic update because of sound and connectivity issues with Yamaha soundbars.What a lie, what a glorious lie.The problem with this lie is that by not admitting all the above issues Sony still encourage people to update and potentially break their tvs.Sony afraid to admit the failure and it is a very dangerous game against the people who trusted Sony and bought its products.Dont update your tvs guys and gals, Android 7 has some issues but it is a lot better than the latest updates no matter what Sony claims.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I did it since the beginning and enjoying it. With some workaround for arc problem and dts support broken on  video app.