Join now - be part of our community!

epg for general satellite

profile.country.GB.title
Loofah

epg for general satellite

The EPG that comes up when using the satellite input is pretty useless with most entries stating no information available. 

As my aerial connection isn't great I'd prefer to use the satellite cable and I wondered if there was an app or fix to get a decent epg in place? 

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi there,

Could you please give us a few more details, and we'll do our best to advise? What is your current setup, and what model of TV do you have?

Thanks,

Owen

profile.country.GB.title
Loofah

TV is an 43XD8305 which I understand does not have freesat but does have freeview/youview and I'd like to make use of the satellite connection rather than the aerial.

I know the EPG doesn't work correctly and was presumably designed like that intentionally and I'd like to know if there is a simple fix (Sony update or software to supply a decent EPG), which I'm sure there isn't, or if an app could be sideloaded perhaps to provide the functionality.

It seems a bit daft to me that a modern TV would have the satellite input but not the software or agreements in place to provide a sensible EPG with it.

profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi again,

This is a known issue and it happens because the LNB on the satellite is not fed with power when the TV is in standby. Therefore the TV cannot update the Episode Guide while in standby mode. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Please let us know if you have any further queries or concerns.

Thanks,

Owen

profile.country.GB.title
Loofah

I knew this was an issue but not the reason, thank you. While not in standby however, surely the LNB is fed with power and therefore a full epg should be possible?

Is this a hardware or software limitation of the TV? By the sound of it, it is a software issue that could be simply rectified...

profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi again,

When the TV is not in standby mode, the guide is updated when selecting a program that holds the information. This can easily be checked when watching a station that holds the EPG information for several other stations. After a short time the EPG information will be added to the guide.

Hope this helps.

Owen

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Owen_G schrieb:

This is a known issue and it happens because the LNB on the satellite is not fed with power when the TV is in standby. Therefore the TV cannot update the Episode Guide while in standby mode. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Why don't you just turn on LNB power when you do the guide update in standby? You also have to do it when doing a timer recording in standby. Otherwise this wouldn't work either.

So instead of giving nonsense excuses and telling people that this is normal, go and fix the actual bug which is that you do not turn on LNB power when doing the guide update in standby.

profile.country.GB.title
joelippa

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Owen_G schrieb:

Why don't you just turn on LNB power when you do the guide update in standby? You also have to do it when doing a timer recording in standby. Otherwise this wouldn't work either.

So instead of giving nonsense excuses and telling people that this is normal, go and fix the actual bug which is that you do not turn on LNB power when doing the guide update in standby.

Here here to that! This suggestion sounds way too sensible and difficult for Sony though :sweat:

profile.country.GB.title
Loofah

Yup! Great hardware let down by software and support... same across all lines unfortunately. I think the first company to release a brilliant TV with basic functions and the ability to load whatever control platform you like (eg Android) will be onto a winner.

Put the consumer in control and they'll sort their own support out through a forum and cool mods.

Won't be a Sony though, and quite likely not at all

profile.country.GB.title
pegille83
Explorer

How do other TVs do it then?  Doesn't this mean the TV is not fit for purpose?  Is there a plan to fix this - it's unacceptable.