Join now - be part of our community!

Google Chrome on KD55XD8559 Android 4K Smart TV

profile.country.GB.title
StephenRidge

Google Chrome on KD55XD8559 Android 4K Smart TV

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible and how to install Google chrome or Firefox internet browers as I need to view items that require adobe reader/player I understand that Google Chrome has this built in.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @StephenRidge,

If they’re not available in the PlayStore on TV, then they’re not certified for Android TV yet (you could try to sideload them, but there's no guarantee this will work - worst case, your TV crashes after installing).

What file type are you trying to viewing?  If it's PDF, here are some details on how to view this file type using Opera: http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/113069

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
StephenRidge

What I am trying to do is watch BT sport, I have a paid account, the provider has instructed me to enter google playstore and download BT sport App, however this is not in there, tried searching for BT sport in AptoidTV  again not there, one can access BT sport via BT internet site having logged in and inserted password as provided, a window open in opera but a caption states need to download adobe flash player to view content so when trying to download adobe flashplayer from internet via opera the install button does not operate (opera/sony seem to block this from happening) I understand that if one could install Googlechrome browser this includes a flash player that would allow one to watch BTsport content, so how would one install google chrome browser?

For the record when using my PC one just needs to enter BT sport website sign in and hey presto fully working sports so I know my BT account is activated and working.

So once again how would one install adobe flash player and or Google chrome internet browser?

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Thanks for the background.  As mentioned, you could try to sideload them - but there's no guarantee this will work.  You can find details on how to do this here: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/faq-how-to-sideload-apps-on-android-tvs/m-p/2347365#M2024...

profile.country.GB.title
Kevin8098

Both Google Chrome and Firefox can be sideloaded however neither show on the Android TV homescreen and you need to use another launcher such as HAL Launcher available in the play store, also note you need to use a usb mouse or keyboard with touchpad as it's almost impossible to navigate using the standard TV remote.

As a side note.. I've sideloaded the BT Sport App on my TV and it doesn't open as it says I need to update Google Play Services to a non TV version.

profile.country.GB.title
Rbelaid
Explorer