Join now - be part of our community!

Internet connection Issues

profile.country.GB.title
dejavus
Explorer

Internet connection Issues

Hi All.

I hope someone can help me. I have 2 broadband connection, virgin media and plusnet. One is reliable with 10mb speed the other is very unreliable but with good speed when it is available.

SO I have a Draytek Vigor 2860N router. I have connected all my devices via ethernet/switch. Due to the broadband reliability issue, I have setup load balancing on the router and route my media traffic through the virgin media WAN because it has higher speed.

I have 2 TV an LG and a SOny 49" 4k. THe LG works fine when load balanced through the virgin internet, however the Sony TV  internet stops working once I turn on load balancing and it starts working once I disable load balancing.

Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not actually too sure how your network is configured.  Can I assume that you have set a fixed IP address on the TV and not using DHCP?  If so, have you set the load balance policy in the router settings for that specific IP Address that you assigned to the Sony TV?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
dejavus
Explorer

Thanks for the reply.

The Sony TV is using DHCP assigned IP address.

Yes the load balancing rule is simple, it simply route all traffics to/from the Sony TV IP address through the prefered lan.

Hope I have answered all your questions.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I would suggest trying (at least) setting a fixed/static IP address on the TV instead.  DHCP IP Addresses can change as you probably are aware - critical if you are routing all traffic from a certain device to somewhere else.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
dejavus
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks again for your time. I have tried to set a static IP address to no avail. I have set the draytek to bind IP Address to mac ensuring that each device will always be assigned the same Ip Address.

Question, while using DHCP, can I change the dns SERVER on the Sony TV even though its set to DHCP?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately you cannot add/change the DNS server settings when using DHCP on the TV.  It must be set to fixed/Static.

Cheers