Join now - be part of our community!

KD65S8005CBU HDR Problems

MickTheMonk
Explorer

KD65S8005CBU HDR Problems

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out, I recently bought a Sony KD65S8005CBU TV and when I play HDR content the TV is displaying it with max brightness which is making the picture very grey.  When HDR is triggered there is no way to adjust the picture settings.  I have tested this with both an Xbox One S and Playstation Pro and its the same problem with both.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I am thinking of returning the TV because of this issue but I would keep it if this can be fixed.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi @MickTheMonk,

sorry but your TV isn't an HDR TV...

Manolo

MickTheMonk
Explorer

This is a HDR capable TV all HDMI ports are HDR capable, HDR was unlocked after a firmware update.  Both the Xbox and Playstation are correctly stating that the display is HDR capable but when HDR is triggered the brightness setting on the TV goes to max and everything looks washed out.  Does anyone have any info than can help me?  Could the TV be faulty?

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Sony Expands High Dynamic Range Compatible Range on 2015 4K Ultra HD TVs

In addition to the previously announced X94C and X93C series, Sony is also adding HDR compatibility to the X91C, X90C, X85C and S85C series via a network update.

Manolo

MickTheMonk
Explorer

Yes this will be the update but when I use HDR it changes the TV settings to max brightness which makes everything washed out and grey looking is this a known issue? I've seen others posting about this on the Playstation forums it only seems to be on Sony TVs.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

You will not use HDR on PS4 Pro because TV isn't HDR compatible. S80C is not in the list of updated TV to HDR.
Simply, turn OFF HDR on PS4 Pro.

Manolo

MickTheMonk
Explorer

This is HDR compatible it says its HDR compatible in the menu and the firmware update was to make it HDR compatible, also both consoles are seeing that its compatible once extended mode is turned on. Please don't reply if you can't offer anything in the way of help.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Ok, by :wave:

@Anonymous, maybe you can halp him...

Manolo

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

Two things that need to be checked:

1. [Enhanced format]High-Quality HDMI format must be enabled and
  2. a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable that supports speeds of 18 Gbps is necessary

http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/caep1/v1/en/contents/TP0000848059.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Please don't reply if you can't offer anything in the way of help." - I find this extremely rude.

Let me explain something - there are no Sony employees on these forums.  As such, people who reply to you are volunteering their time and effort in order to help you.  The people who are labeled as "Experts" are customers of Sony just like you.  Someone like @Marino.Manolo was only trying to help you, he is an expert on the Italian forums, hence there can be a language barrier as English is not his native language.  Me personally, I am thankful that Marino can assist from time to time on the UK forums.

A reply such as yours above, does not encourage someone to try and help you.

There has been lots of questions about HDR lately, and I have created a FAQ about this, see:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/faq-does-my-tv-have-hdr/m-p/2254437

However, Marino is correct - your TV model does not support HDR.