Join now - be part of our community!

Sky Q and KD-55XD9305

SOLVED
Lidders75
Explorer

Sky Q and KD-55XD9305

Please help! Bought a new 55XD9305 yesterday and cannot set up with Sky Q and Bravia Sync properly. Current set up: 

KD-55XD9305 TV

Sony DA2400ES receiver

Sky Q silver 

Sony blu ray player BDP S185

Apple TV 

Sony PS3 

All units plugged in to receiver via HDMI 

Receiver to TV via HDMI port 4 (ARC) 

TV to receiver via optic out from the TV optic to the in on receiver. This is for TV content such as Netflix. 

Issues:  

1. ultra HD only works if I connect the Sky Q direct to Tv in 8 bit only (is this not 10bit compatible?) but then I lose the Bravia Sync

2. When trying to setup the sync, how do I stop the volume on the TV moving? I only want sound via my amp 

3. Would a unit such as Portta 2x1 or 1x2 HDMI Bi-Directional Switch with HDCP Passthrough https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EO....Work so that I could connect  Sky Q to both the tv direct when watching UHD films and to the amp for everything else?

my key objective is to have minimal remote controls and to be able to watch UHD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Lidders75 wrote:

Please help! Bought a new 55XD9305 yesterday and cannot set up with Sky Q and Bravia Sync properly. Current set up: 

KD-55XD9305 TV

Sony DA2400ES receiver

Sky Q silver 

Apple TV 

Sony PS3 

TV to receiver via optic out from the TV optic to the in on receiver. This is for TV content such as Netflix. 

Issues:  

1. ultra HD only works if I connect the Sky Q direct to Tv in 8 bit only (is this not 10bit compatible?) but then I lose the Bravia Sync

2. When trying to setup the sync, how do I stop the volume on the TV moving? I only want sound via my amp 

3. Would a unit such as Portta 2x1 or 1x2 HDMI Bi-Directional Switch with HDCP Passthrough https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EO....Work so that I could connect  Sky Q to both the tv direct when watching UHD films and to the amp for everything else?

My amp is 4k, but not HDCP 2.2. This is how I connect:

All HDMI set to enhanced to get 10 bit

Sky to HDMI 1 on TV.

HDMI 4 Arc to amp.

HDMI control on both TV and Sky.

This way I get sound through to the AMP, and HDMI auto switches when I choose Sky. I also get 10 bit colour with my 55X8509C using supplied sky cable. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The STR-DA2400ES AV Receiver is a model from 2008 - hence well before the introduction of 4K UHD.  You will need to connect the Sky Q Silver box directly to the TV. 

In regards to the HDMI / Bravia Sync issue:

There used to be an issue with Sky Q boxes and HDMI-CEC function - I believe this has now been fixed.  Just enable it in the settings of both the TV (Bravia Sync) and the Sky Q Silver box

Also, can you confirm that you are using a Premium Certified HDMI cable that is capable of handling 18Gbps - as this is required to connect the Sky Q Silver box to the TV.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Lidders75 wrote:

KD-55XD9305 TV

Sony DA2400ES receiver

Sky Q silver 

Apple TV 

Sony PS3 

Issues:  

My amp is 4k, but not HDCP 2.2. This is how I connect:

All HDMI set to enhanced to get 10 bit

Sky to HDMI 1 on TV.

HDMI 4 Arc to amp.

HDMI control on both TV and Sky.

This way I get sound through to the AMP, and HDMI auto switches when I choose Sky. I also get 10 bit colour with my 55X8509C using supplied sky cable. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi there

The STR-DA2400ES AV Receiver is a model from 2008 - hence well before the introduction of 4K UHD.  You will need to connect the Sky Q Silver box directly to the TV. 

In regards to the HDMI / Bravia Sync issue:

There used to be an issue with Sky Q boxes and HDMI-CEC function - I believe this has now been fixed.  Just enable it in the settings of both the TV (Bravia Sync) and the Sky Q Silver box

Also, can you confirm that you are using a Premium Certified HDMI cable that is capable of handling 18Gbps - as this is required to connect the Sky Q Silver box to the 

Cheers

2008 is also well before ARC, for which the first devices that could support it began to appear in the second half of 2009.

So the optical connection to the amp is necessary for the sound, and if you want the TV to know you are using this, you have to tell it, in Settings somewhere, that this is to be the only sound output,

And the HDMI connection with ARC is no better (though of course also no worse) than any other HDMI input, for the amp.

Oh, and from:-

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/hdmi-2-0-what-you-need-to-know/

"It's worth mentioning, again, that 4K HDMI cables are nonsense."

Unless you you know different, Quinnicu?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Lidders75
Explorer

Thanks all. High speed HDMI to tv gives me 10bit colour as mentioned above. Another HDMI to the amp gives me Sony Bravia Sync.  The volume is switched off on the to but it still comes up on the to screen when I change volume, any ideas how to switch that off? 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Lidders75 wrote:

Thanks all. High speed HDMI to tv gives me 10bit colour as mentioned above. Another HDMI to the amp gives me Sony Bravia Sync.  The volume is switched off on the TV but it still comes up on the to screen when I change volume, any ideas how to switch that off? 

If you are saying you get a visual display of the volume change, but the volume on the TV stays off, then this is just  your amp trying to be helpful over Bravia Sync by showing you what is happening, and what the volume level is.

i would expect you to get this display whether you use the TV remote or the amp remote; is this the case?

All my TVs do this under the same or similar circumstances, with my big Samsung showing not just the volume but also SAT (standing for Samsung Air Track) to indicate that the volume is actually changing on the SAT soundbar, and not on the TV itself, which remains silent, as it should.

You can turn it off by turning off the Bravia Sync on either TV or amp, IIRC, but I think you will lose more than just a useful (?) volume indicator if you do.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking