Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TV Guide Not Working Fully

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
LindaK554
Explorer

Sony TV Guide Not Working Fully

I have a Sony KD-55X8509C tv and the Sony remote for it worked perfectly until recently. The remote works perfectly for everything else except the tv guide.

When I press guide on the remote, up pops a screen guide titled Guide - Streaming channels. Underneath this is the current date and a heading entitled Play Movies & TV. To the right of this is Google Play Movies & TV. If I select this it plays trailers of movies that can be rented. There is no listing of usual information for the tv guide.

The red coloured column to the extreme left of the screen shows Guide and beneath that Settings. Select Guide and it takes you back across to Google Play Movies etc. Select Settings and it offers the opportunity to create favourites.

I have restarted tv several times by long hold on on/off button and also removing power cable for a while but makes no difference.

My tv service is supplied by Virgin Media. I don't have youview, freeview or freesat. I have removed all cables from the Virginmedia Tivo box and reconnected 30 minutes later but still guide does not show tv progam info.

Not sure what else I can do - anyone out there have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
LindaK554
Explorer

HD3dzn - You gave me an idea. I went to settings, then initial set up and followed the process (which included agreeing to the Sony privacy policy). Part of this process covered I R Blaster and testing the guide among a number of other Q/As. When I finished it stated that I would be able to control the guide using my Sony tv remote. I selected guide on the remote and Hey Presto the guide appeared on screen. I tested it and it works just like it used to. The only difference I could see is that in the top right hand corner it shows "Powered by Gracenote".

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Really I do not understand what do you expect (or what it did when you saud it worked) by the TV Guide on the TV since it is not connected to any aerial service (no DTT nor SAT)....

It cannot shows anything, since it has no source other than the virgin box that is connected via HDMI and cannot supply those information needed by the guide

profile.country.GB.title
LindaK554
Explorer

My Android tv has a built in programme guide app. That guide showed all the programme information one might expect for all channels and was accessed using the associated Sony tv remote. For the past 3 years I used it every day without issues. You say there is no source for the guide other than the Virgin box and that it cannot supply the information needed. I don't pretend to know whether you are correct in that assumption but I repeat I have been using the guide daily for the past 3 years! Perhaps the guide is updated from a internet based source? Presumably, the other apps on my tv are updated that way.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The only section that is fed via internet is the by genre section not the schedule one; that section can be configured to be run by the remote button. I you can upload a picture of which section  of the guide you expect to be filled.
profile.country.IE.title
HD3dzn
New

I'm sorry but she is correct. I had the same thing. I have a XBR-65X75D and in the last update they removed the internet fed program guide. Now mine just says you have to agree to privacy policy with no way to do so. If I remember correctly during the original set up you entered your location and provider and it fed it via internet and worked well.....NOW I HAVE NO PROGRAM and worse tonight it is not even working the IR blasters. Making this an expensive piece of junk stuck on one channel.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

XBR-65X75D is a US model. We are talking about European TV in a European community please.
profile.country.IE.title
HD3dzn
New

Sorry, didn't catch that until later. I just did the search looking for an
answer. Thanks.
profile.country.GB.title
LindaK554
Explorer

HD3dzn - You gave me an idea. I went to settings, then initial set up and followed the process (which included agreeing to the Sony privacy policy). Part of this process covered I R Blaster and testing the guide among a number of other Q/As. When I finished it stated that I would be able to control the guide using my Sony tv remote. I selected guide on the remote and Hey Presto the guide appeared on screen. I tested it and it works just like it used to. The only difference I could see is that in the top right hand corner it shows "Powered by Gracenote".

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just to understand...what you are now seeing is the TV guide of the virgin box or the TV app filled with data? I guess is the first...
profile.country.GB.title
LindaK554
Explorer

I am seeing the guide from what appears the TV App. The guide from the Virgin TIVO box is quite different. A major difference is that whilst you search for programmes using the Virgin guide you can continue to watch the programme you are watching, albeit a smaller version in the top right hand corner of the screen. As you scroll through programmes on the Virgin guide details of that programme appear in a section at the top of the screen. Otherwise both guides are similarly formatted.