Join now - be part of our community!

Turn on TV with google assistent

aernor
New

Turn on TV with google assistent

Hello,

I have problem turn on tv with google assistent. When i say " ok google turn on my tv " assistent white " sure " but tv stay off. But when i say " ok google open youtube on my tv " then is tv turn on. My question is, what can i do, to tv turn on and start normal tv broadcasting?

I use google assistent in mobile and Sony KD-55XE8596.

Thanks for reply.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Are both your products running the latest firmware?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

I do not think that this feature has been enabled yet, at least universally.

There was a rumor, according to this but it does not work on my TV (XE9005).

profile.country.GB.title
olders82

It has stopped working for me. I can still control the volume with voice commands but on/off has stopped working. Google home is a bit frustrating at times. You could try enabling US English as the language input - that seems to enable most of the new features first and then, eventually, they will roll out to other languages.

I would test but I can't stand the US accent on the GH.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

Just for an hour or so yesterday, I managed to turn on/off TV using Google Home Mini, even starting Netflix. I achieved it by selecting "English" as the language in TV instead of my native one. But suddenly it stopped working again. Volume control and youtube commands are still ok.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I have the same problem. As soon as the TV goes into deep sleep, it cannot be woken up anymore. That happens after about an hour or two, see standby behavior of those TVs.

When in deep sleep, I cannot wake it via Google Home, Alexa, Video & TV SideView and Chromecast anymore, see this bug report, even if Remote start is enabled (which should enable WoWL). This used to work with an ATV1 based Sony TV on the very same WLAN, but does not work anymore with newer ATV2 based sets.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

I am not referring to the bug that you describe above.

I am actually referring to the roll-out of the "turn TV on/off" and "Play Netflix on TV" feature using Google Home voice commands.

Does it work for English (UK) or just for English (US)? I know that it does not work when Greek is the enabled language in TV settings. When I enabled English (I suppose UK) though, it worked for a while and then stopped. Does it work for you when the TV language is English or Deutsch? Can you for example turn your TV on by voice command on Google Home?

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

All of a sudden, today, the "turn TV on/ off" voice command to Google Home works. Who knows about tomorrow though...

profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

After updating to Oreo, I can on longer turn on/off my AF8 with Google home. I use to be able to do this with Google Home Mini and my iPad but this feature had now gone. Sony's advertising on YouTube clearly has people turning on the tv with voice commands. Does anyone know if this has been removed in the Oreo update or in Google Assistant?