Join now - be part of our community!

TV Players will not player content

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
castleugly
Explorer

TV Players will not player content

I have a new KD55AF8.  BBC iPlayer works fine, but when I use ITV, All4 or My 5 players the app loads and when a programme is selected plays the adverts then just hangs. Same happens through You TV and through the app. What an I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@castleugly 

Nothing - these services are failing you.

A poke about in Apps in Settings may allow you to clear the cache for these apps, and get them going again one by one, but your easiest option is a Factory Reset, which will fix them all, and any other Apps that might be thinking of misbehaving.

The universal failure mechanism by which these issues occur is that the ads come from a different server from the one serving the actual programmes, and it is the switch back from the ad server that goes wrong.

The universal mystery is how repeatable reliably these services can switch to the ad servers. Though those suffering this issue in a catch-up episode of ‘Follow The Money’ may notice a strong clue in the programme title.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@castleugly 

Nothing - these services are failing you.

A poke about in Apps in Settings may allow you to clear the cache for these apps, and get them going again one by one, but your easiest option is a Factory Reset, which will fix them all, and any other Apps that might be thinking of misbehaving.

The universal failure mechanism by which these issues occur is that the ads come from a different server from the one serving the actual programmes, and it is the switch back from the ad server that goes wrong.

The universal mystery is how repeatable reliably these services can switch to the ad servers. Though those suffering this issue in a catch-up episode of ‘Follow The Money’ may notice a strong clue in the programme title.

profile.country.GB.title
castleugly
Explorer

Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
davidsheard65
Explorer

I'd be interested to know if this works as I have the exact same problem, but the TV is brand new, so surely the Factory Settings are what are already in play?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@davidsheard65 

You’d think so, but the TV will have woken up in a new environment, possibly downloaded a new release of the OS, certainly taken on board all the setting and tunings that you made and any further apps you downloaded, your Netflix subscription details, and so on...

A Factory Reset on even a new Sony TV usually pays off, especially when you have noticed a few things it isn’t doing right.

Less drastic, but less effective, though it is always worth a try to see if it suffices, is a soft reboot, which you can do by pointing the remote at the TV, and keeping the On/Standby button pressed for just over five seconds.