Join now - be part of our community!

How to convert Handycam tapes to digital?

SOLVED
Beth15
Explorer

How to convert Handycam tapes to digital?

I want to be able to edit some some old home videos on my laptop and burn them to DVD as a present for a friend, but I have no idea how to go about doing this so I'd really appreciate some advice. 

I still have the camcorder, which is a Sony Handycam (and it still works). It looks like this:Handycam PictureP1050320.JPG

The model no is DCR-PC106E if that helps, and the tapes say Mini DVM60 on them.

Is there a wire I can buy to connect the camcorder to my laptop? What software can I download in order to convert the footage to digital? 

Thank you.

(P.S. I don't want to spent a load of money so I'd prefer recommendations of free/cheap software if poss.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi - sorry to cause confusion!

A hard disc recorder is just a recoder for recording freeview programs for later viewing. It is just an updated video recorder that uses a hard disc, like the one in your computer, to record live TV.

If you do not have anything with a firewire port, you will need an AV cable and a USB video capture device. These will connect to your PC through its USB port.

Just make sure the video capture device you choose is suitable for your computer's version of Windows and also that it comes with some software to help you edit the video.

:wink:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Beth15 and welcome.

There are two ways to get the video out of the camera - digitally using a DV cable (for better quality) or by using an analogue AV cable.

To use a digital output, you need the docking station for the Handycam which has a DV jack (or iLink or Firewire - these are all names for the same thing).

To use the AV out, you can use the yellow jack on the camera itself or the one on the docking station.

It is better to use the DV (digital output) as this is the format it is stored on the tape and also the format for editing and making a DVD. To use the AV (analogue output) the camera has to convert the video to analogue and then it must be re-converted to digital for your PC or VCR.

However, this depends on your PC or your VCR having a firewire input. Check your PC and also check your VCR for this input. Most slightly older Hard Disc/DVD recorders will have both a firewire input as well as AV inputs (Yellow/Red/White).

If you have firewire connections on camera and computer/VCR, you just need a Firewire/DV/iLink cable like this: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Computers-Firewire-pin-Cable1-8m-IEEE1394-out/dp/B001D8DK9G/ref=sr_1_4?s=co...

However, if you no longer have the docking station or your PC/VCR does not have a firewire connection, you will need an AV cable.  This will have been supplied with the camera but if you have lost it, you can get another: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-3-5mm-Phono-Composite-Audio/dp/B00BG088FM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&...

This can usually connect direct to a Hard Disc DVD recorder and you can record to the hard drive on the recorder from the camera. Most recorders will then allow you to burn this to a DVD.

If you want to edit on your PC and don't have a firewire port, you may be able to buy a firewire card but this will cost more. Otherwise you will need a USB video capture device like this: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-software-compatible-processing-post-processing/dp/B00XHOHRPW/ref=sr_1_3...

These come at differing prices - make sure it is compatible with your PC and version of Windows.

Sorry it's so complicated - it would be easier if I knew the inputs available on your PC and if you have a Hard Disc recorder.

:thinking:

Beth15
Explorer

Thank you for replying Blencogo. I appreciate your help. I've checked and I don't think my PC does have a FireWire port. 

I'm finding it a bit hard to understand what to do now (I'm not very computer savvy at all!) Sorry but what's a Hard Disk DVD recorder? Presumably it's different from an ordinary DVD player/recorder? (This is my DVD player http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/audio-video/blu-ray-players/BD-H6500/XU )

Or is a Hard Disk DVD recorder part of the computer?

If it's neither of those, I don't have one. Will I be able to convert my tapes without one?

Do I need to buy an AV cable and a USB converter?

Thank you so much. Sorry for getting confused (I didn't realise it would be this complicated!)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi - sorry to cause confusion!

A hard disc recorder is just a recoder for recording freeview programs for later viewing. It is just an updated video recorder that uses a hard disc, like the one in your computer, to record live TV.

If you do not have anything with a firewire port, you will need an AV cable and a USB video capture device. These will connect to your PC through its USB port.

Just make sure the video capture device you choose is suitable for your computer's version of Windows and also that it comes with some software to help you edit the video.

:wink:

Beth15
Explorer

Thank you so much for your help! :slight_smile:

Just to double-check: I will connect the camcorder to the Hard Drive recorder using an AV cable, transfer the footage to the Hard Drive, then connect the recorder to my PC using the USB video capture device?

Sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake! (I know I clicked that it was solved but then I realised I'm still a bit confused.)

Hope you have a good week!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi

No, you don't need a hard disc recorder unless you happen to have one already.

The AV cable plugs into a 3.5mm jack on the camera (yellow). At the other end of the AV cable are coloured plugs - Yellow (for composite video), Red (for Audio R) and White (for Audio L).

This connects directly to the video capture device which will have the same Yellow/Red/White inputs. It may also have other inputs but ignore them. This video capture device has an output USB that plugs straight into your computer.

This is AV cable - the jack plug on the left plugs into your camera: -

The Yellow/Red/White plugs on the right connect to the video capture device below:-

Ignore the black S-Video input. The video capture device either plugs directly into a USB port on your computer (as in the one above) or it has a cable between the device and the USB plug (as in the one below):-

Good Luck!

Beth15
Explorer

Aah... I understand now. :thumbsup: Thanks so much for all your help Blencogo!

I've ordered the AV cable and video capture device. Fingers crossed- I'll soon be able to convert the tapes. It'll be great to be able to edit the footage and burn it to DVD.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your week!