Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-HX300 Viewfinder

profile.country.GB.title
Picus_viridis
New

DSC-HX300 Viewfinder

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and couldn't find an appropriate 'board' for my question. I hope someone can help me resolve my problem with my 3 year old camera.

I prefer to use the viewfinder rather than the screen when shooting with the camera. This is because I need to put on my spectacles to see the image on the screen whereas with the viewfinder I can manage fine. The problem is that all of a sudden the viewfinder is now very blurred and I cannot see anything properly through it. The screen however is working fine and is nice and clear - if I use my spectacles. Images taken using the blurry viewfinder turn out fine so I think it must be the viewfinder that is at fault.

This happened whilst on holiday in Uganda last week. It had been raining heavily there but the camera remained dry throughout. That may be a clue to the problem or it may be a complete 'red herring'.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to resolve this please? I love my camera and want to fix the problem.

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Picus_viridis and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

I'm not familiar with that model  but It sounds like there may have been an

adjustment made on your diopter.

Is there a small wheel located near your viewfinder?

If so turn it one way or the other until it is in focus for you.

Let us know how you get on.

profile.country.GB.title
Picus_viridis
New

Hi Jumpy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. It is appreciated. Unfortunately your suggestion didn't make any improvement. I adjusted the wheel as you suggested, in both directions, but the view through the viewfinder remained very fuzzy. I could just about see whether the diopter wheel was making a difference with the +0.3 appearing in the bottom right of the screen but I certainly couldnt be certain if it was + or - 0.3 or indeed 0.7OEV.

Any one else have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

M

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @Picus_viridis

Thanks for trying the diopter.

Have you tried a reset on your camera in case that helps?

Remove the batteries for one full minute. Then re-insert the batteries

• Power on the camera, and select “Menu,” then “Settings.”
  • Select “Main Settings,” then “Initialize.”
  • Select “OK,” and press the center button on the control wheel.
  • Turn off the camera.

Power the camera back on and see if that has helped.

If a reset doesn't help then I think you will have to contact Sony Support on +44 (0) 2073652810

Hope this helps

profile.country.GB.title
Picus_viridis
New

Hi Jumpsuit,

Thank you so much for your detailed help. Unfortunately I've found no improvement after I followed each of the steps you suggested. Looks like I'm going to have to call the support service.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again

You're very welcome :slight_smile:

Sorry it doesn't seem to be an easy fix.

I'm wondering if the camera became 'wet' in any way or

even if it may have been humidity levels causing a problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.