Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-HX9V Flash Problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ted-allan
New

DSC-HX9V Flash Problem

Bought the HX9V for my wife as a birthday present.  She used it for a week & then the flash stopped popping up.  Got to say that although the camera seems very good overall the position of the 'pop up' flash seems badly designed being in the exact place where it is most intuitive to hold the camer when taking pictures.  Anyway wondered if anyone has had the same 'stuck flash' or similar problem with this camera & a possible solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello ted-allan - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The first thing I would advise you to do is remove the battery, wait a few seconds and then reinsert into your camera to see if this helps as it may reset whatever is causing the issue. However, if it is a physical problem, I would advise you to contact Sony Customer Services during regular business hours as the age of the camera means that a fault may be covered by the warranty i.e. under 12 months. I wouldn't advise doing too much before contacting Sony for advice as the last thing you want to do is invalidate your warranty :slight_smile:

There is a helpful forum thread about contacting Sony for such issues located here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello ted-allan - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The first thing I would advise you to do is remove the battery, wait a few seconds and then reinsert into your camera to see if this helps as it may reset whatever is causing the issue. However, if it is a physical problem, I would advise you to contact Sony Customer Services during regular business hours as the age of the camera means that a fault may be covered by the warranty i.e. under 12 months. I wouldn't advise doing too much before contacting Sony for advice as the last thing you want to do is invalidate your warranty :slight_smile:

There is a helpful forum thread about contacting Sony for such issues located here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Thanks,

Simon

Lacar92
Visitor

I am also having the same problem with my flash.  I purchased the DSC-HX9V in July and it has worked great.  However, recently the flash stopped working.  I've tried every setting and nothing appears to work.  I also removed the battery and reinstalled with no change.  The camera is working fine with the exception of the flash not popping up. 

sphinxxxxx
Visitor

Hi ted-allan, I would ask to check that you have not inadvertently turned off the flash on the 'joypad' wheel on the back of the camera.  Sorry if this is asking the obvious, but better to be sure.

:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
mipeter59
Explorer

Hi ted-allan. I'm afraid I don't have a solution but I also bought this camera and within 2 weeks, the exact same problem has occurred - flash has stopped popping up even when set to flash 'always on' mode. Agree with your comment on the position of the flash but I did quickly get used to it and I have to say the picture quality of this camera is excellent. I was on hols in Wales and then Rome and took hundreds of great pictures before the problem occurred. I've tried re-initialising the camera but no joy so have just registered it for a warranty repair. When I spoke with customer service earlier today they said it seems to be a hardware failure so I just hope the fix is permanent as I really like the camera ! Good luck.

kimer702
Visitor

I have a different problem my flash won't retract.  Especially if I am shooting flash shots and then select no flash.  It's like the camera doesn't know it still has the flash open.  I have to goof around shooting flash shots and turning it on and off before I can get it to retract, what a pain.

Roeeeeee
Visitor

DSC-HX9V Flash Problem Solved For me

Fabio The greate Solved it

Hello try to follow instruction from his  post at

http://godiversity.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-sony-dsc-hx9v-flash-does-not-pop-up.html

10x Fabio

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

The flash on the DSC-HX9 does not retract automatically if flash cancel mode is set. It will retract when the camera is turned off. If the flash had been popped up and you want it to close push it down manually.

The flash goes down automatically in the following situations:

• When the power is turned on/off.
  • When the camera switches to playback mode or USB mode.
  • When the mode dial is set to [iSweep Panorama] or [Movie Mode].
  • When the MOVIE button is pressed.
dh17807
Visitor

Hi, I'd just found this thread on the Sony forum about problems with the flash pop-up on the HX9 cybershot, as I have just recently discovered the same problem with my own camera. The problem might have occurred some months ago, but I've not had to use flash because I was taking pictures mainly outdoors and it's been so sunny this summer, so I was a bit gutted that the flash stopped working and it seems to be a common problem!! I have tried the battery thing and forcing flash, and I still cannot get flash to pop-up, so I will be sending it back to Sony for repair. I only got my camera in Nov 2011 so it's still in warranty, but as I said, I'm disappointed it already has a fault. :slight_frown: I also agree with Ted-Allan's comment about the poor design of the flash with the positioning for holding the camera. One of the reason I chose this compact camera was because by having a pop-up flash it meant that it can cast a brighter light a lot wider/further than a built-in flash.

Message was edited by: dh17807

profile.country.GB.title
Foxdog
New

Well mine lasted long enough to be out of warranty. As this is a known issue I guess Sony are just turning their back on this problem.  Will try Nikon or Canon next   ,,, Disappointed