Join now - be part of our community!

RX100 not switching on

Adam.L
Explorer

RX100 not switching on

I have a MKI RX100. When I switch the camera on, the lens goes out, in and half way out again, but the screen is black with "Switch off and on" printed on it. When I switch the camera off, the lens goes in and back out staying out then the camera goes off. Switch it on again and the same happens. The only other button that works is the playback button, but I cannot see anything much because of the black screen.

I have given the bettery a charge over night - no change

I have taken the battery out and put it back in - no change

Same with the SD card - no change

I have tried with the USB plugged into the charger and my laptop with no change and without the battery in - no change

I have checked for softwear updates and it said it didn't need any.

This camera, while out of warranty is only 19 months old and I had rather hoped it would still be working by now

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hello and welcome. 

I would say a repair is required try contacting Sony's support department.

Adam.L
Explorer

I have spoken to Sony on the phone and they just read off the manual, which was no help because none of the buttons are working. I have also contacted them via the "Contact us" page on the web site and heard nothing and that was a week ago. So I contacted them again yesterday and am waiting with baiting breath more in hope than expectation.

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Adam.L,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..

I have passed your comments on to one of my contacts within Sony in a hope that they can help with your case, hopefully someone will be in contact with you next week..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Adam,

when you were speaking to Sony did they not provide you with contact details for a repair centre??

Adam.L
Explorer

Hi,

No they didn't give me any details that I remember

Adam.L
Explorer

Update, a rather underwhelming response from Sony Towers. They gave me a link to get the camera repaired (at who's cost they haven't said) and the link has no means of getting cameras repairs. TV's or laptop yes, cameras no. I rang 2 of the places up anyway and they said they don't repair cameras

So far this is showing a rather impressive level of incompetence from Sony, it's bad enough them no honouring the cashback but they seem totaly indifferent to getting the camera fixed. They were emailed again before 2pm today and they haven't got back to me and will no doubt have to wait until the early part of next week. Right now the best option seems to be beat the useless piece of expensive junk with a sledge hammer, buy a Canon like I should have done in the first place and send the fragments back to Sony with a diagram of where they might like to instert it.

Totally ***** off.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Adam,

can't.promise anything but let me see if I can get someone from Sony to contact you to get this sorted..

Adam.L
Explorer

Thank you very much.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Adam,

has anyone from Sony been in contact with you yet??