Join now - be part of our community!

rx10m4

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Baz2126

rx10m4

Hi, I bought a new RX10M4 and was invited by Sony to give a review. Unfortunately the camera was defective so was returned and I said so in the review. Guess what?   ...the review was rejected! Truth hurts don't you think...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Baz2126

Thanks Nic, the RX10M4 is supported by affinity and it's definitly better that RawTherapee and looks like it's better than Lightroom too. At least your not fighting the clouds all the time!

Affinity has a trial version (which I have downloaded) and a whole host of useful video tutorials to get you going.

Adobe ~ eat your heart out....

Thanks again Nic

Barry

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Baz2126

Hi Nic,

I bought a copy of Lightroom on the grounds that they had updated it and that it now supports the RX10M4. Unfortunately it wouldn't open the files at all and I finished up, after 24 hours of working at it, claiming a refund from Adobe.

I have now bought a copy of Affinity as I am very pleased with it and find it easier to work with than Lightroom. and I thought that I knew Lightroom fairly well! I've even updated some of my older photographs and gained better reults with Affinity than I had with Lightroom.

Hey~Ho, quite happy :smiling:

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Baz2126 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

What problem were you having with the camera?

profile.country.GB.title
Baz2126

Hi Jumpy.

The LCD screen on top of the camera was defective and did not produce all the elements of the figures and numbers. It was therefore unreadable for most of the time. I received a replacement yesterday and that seems OK, everything works.

I'm also fimding it impossible to seeking out any software that will edit the RAW files that the RX104M produces. Nothing that Adobe produces will and ACDSee won't. ImageDataTransfer will convert them to .tif format and you can do some editing there but I would rather just edit the RAW files like I used to with my A850 and A580 cameras in Lghtroom. Even the latest version 6 of Lightroom won't open them.

Barry

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Ahhh , i think 'defective' accurately covers it then :wink:

(You could always leave another review once you've registered your replacement?)

Regarding RAW, another member was also having difficulty in this thread.

A possible workaround was suggested but again it involves conversion

rather than just working straight from RAW.

If I hear anything regarding a solution I will update these threads.

profile.country.GB.title
Baz2126

I now have a new RX10M4 and it works well except that not even Adobe (despite what they claim in their latest update) will support the .awr (RAW) file format except RawTherapee (http://rawtherapee.com/) which actually seems quite good. Try it!

Sony support did not understand and just kept saying "use jpg".

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Yesterday a guy at the German community forums had the same problem with the RAW files from his RX0.

I think it is safe to assume the RX10 IV and the RX0 use the same format.

Affinity Photo is compatible with them, as well as Sonys "RAW Image Data Converter".

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Baz2126

Thanks Nic, the RX10M4 is supported by affinity and it's definitly better that RawTherapee and looks like it's better than Lightroom too. At least your not fighting the clouds all the time!

Affinity has a trial version (which I have downloaded) and a whole host of useful video tutorials to get you going.

Adobe ~ eat your heart out....

Thanks again Nic

Barry

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi there ,

glad I could help.

Apparently Adobe updated their software yesterday as well :laughing:

I though can highly recommend Affinity Photo and tell you, that the 50€ pricetag (don't know what the exact price is in pounds) is a steal for what it offers.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Baz2126

Hi Nic,

I bought a copy of Lightroom on the grounds that they had updated it and that it now supports the RX10M4. Unfortunately it wouldn't open the files at all and I finished up, after 24 hours of working at it, claiming a refund from Adobe.

I have now bought a copy of Affinity as I am very pleased with it and find it easier to work with than Lightroom. and I thought that I knew Lightroom fairly well! I've even updated some of my older photographs and gained better reults with Affinity than I had with Lightroom.

Hey~Ho, quite happy :smiling:

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi ,

glad to hear, that Affinity Photo works well for you, too :upside_down:

- Nic