Join now - be part of our community!

Transfer files from a DSC-HX90V to a PC using WiFi

SOLVED
WebMaximus
Explorer

Transfer files from a DSC-HX90V to a PC using WiFi

I have a DSC-HX90V and a PC running Windows 10 Pro x64 and I'm wondering what options are there to transfer files from the camera to my PC over WiFi.

Do I have to install Play Memories Online to get this working or is there some other component I could install just for the transfer over WiFi functionality?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Did you take a look at one of the many Wi-Fi capable SD memory cards, that might be another option..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi WebMaximus,

You could try using one of the many Wi-Fi capable SD memory cards or you would need to install Play Memories Home..

Taken for the HX90 support site:-

Send photos and videos from camera to computer over Wi-Fi

If your Sony camera or camcorder supports Wi-Fi you can use it to wirelessly transfer photos to your computer – no need to plug in a cable. Here's how.

Set up Wi-Fi transfers
Before your first Wi-Fi transfer, you’ll need to set up your camera and computer up so they can wirelessly connect.

1. Download and install PlayMemories Home on your PC or Mac
  2. Connect your camera to your computer with a USB cable. The computer will recognise the camera and automatically install the drivers it needs
  3. Start PlayMemories Home. At this point you might be prompted to change the USB operation mode.
  4. PlayMemories Home will confirm that your camera has been connected.
  5. On the left-hand side of the PlayMemories Home window, you’ll see ‘Camera description’. Select this.
  6. Select ‘Wi-Fi import settings’, then ‘Recommended’, then ‘Next.
  7. You’ll see a prompt asking you to allow changes to Firewall Controller. Select ‘yes’ or ‘confirm’.
  8. You can now detach the camera from the computer.
  9. If you haven’t already, register your camera to the relevant wireless access point. On your camera, select Menu > Wireless > Access point set, and register your camera to the same access point as your computer

Transfer images using Wi-Fi
You can transfer pictures to one computer at a time using Wi-Fi. If you have a few computers to upload to, you’ll need to repeat the process.

• On your camera, select MENU > Wireless > Send to computer. The camera will then start transmitting your pictures. It might take a few minutes.
  • Depending on your settings, your camera may turn off when the transfer finishes.

You can also use PlayMemories Home to transfer photos and videos without using Wi-Fi.

1. Download and install PlayMemories Home on your PC or Mac
  2. Use your camera's USB cable to connect it to your computer. The computer will recognise the camera and automatically install the drivers it needs.
  3. Start PlayMemories Home. At this point you might be prompted to change the USB operation mode.
  4. PlayMemories Home will confirm that your camera has been connected.
  5. In the PlayMemories Home window, select ‘Import Media File’, then follow the instructions to select which files to import to your computer.
WebMaximus
Explorer

Ok, was hoping there was another way but then I know there isn't.

Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Did you take a look at one of the many Wi-Fi capable SD memory cards, that might be another option..
WebMaximus
Explorer

No, I didn't but will check that out - thanks again!