Join now - be part of our community!

WX-500 Background Blur

StevenOP
Explorer

WX-500 Background Blur

Hello Sony Comunity.

I'm here today to ask about the WX-500 background blur. I know it has an option for background blur but when it's in use, it doesn't seem to work. I would like to have the background blur while in video and for the camera to focus on the subject in the centre.

If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
StevenOP
Explorer

Any replies recently? Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I am far from an expert on this camera but as nobody else has answered, I'll have a go.

One of the main reasons you may not have received a reply is that I don't think the DSC-WX500 has the 'background defocus' feature. I know the DSC-WX50 had it but not the WX500.

All background defocus does is to open the lens aperture wide open to give the minimum depth of field. Basically, this does not work very well at all for cameras with a small sensor so, you probably don't have the right camera to exploit this noticeably as you may see it on a SLR camera.

The best way is to put your camera into 'A' mode - aperture priority mode - and manually open the camera to the lowest f-stop available and take the picture. This is also similar to Portrait Mode (which the WX500 does have) that does the same thing with a few skin tone tweaks.

I don't think background defocus is available in movie mode but if you are looking to film something like racing cars, the camera should be able to follow-focus a moving car and blur the background as long as you are panning the camera with the car.

Can you please check exactly which camera you have and describe how you have set it up for background blur. Also let us know what you are trying to capture.

StevenOP
Explorer

Well thanks for your reply.

My exact camera model is Sony DSC-WX500. I'm recording YouTube videos and want a background blur so I can be the focus of the frame. I contacted Sony live chat a few weeks ago but their way did not work. Well not the way I set it up. This is the link: http://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1520/v1/en/contents/TP0000591726.html?cid=scp-eu-5858

I also found out that in Movie mode, you can't select the "focus area" as it's already set to "wide".

The representative told me to set the "focus area" to centre and go on "portrait" in Movie mode but it's some how still not having a background area whilst recording a video with me in the centre of the video in the process of recording a video. Not taking a picture.

Thanks!

StevenOP
Explorer

Hello.

Any new solutions?!