Join now - be part of our community!

Buying a Reader in the UK for someone who lives abroad

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
pete4096
Visitor

Buying a Reader in the UK for someone who lives abroad

Hi,

I'd like to buy a Reader here in the UK and give it to my sister-in-law, who lives in Peru, and I've got a few questions:

Her English isn't that good.  Would I be able to switch the Reader to Spanish?  And would she be able to get the software in Spanish?

Are there many compatible e-books available in Spanish (particularly medical textbooks)?  And does anyone know what sites she could download them from?

Are there any other issues with buying a Reader in one country and using it in another?

Thanks,

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi Pete,

Not really sure of a definitive answer to this.  I know you can switch the Reader menu and the software language to Spanish for one of the latest Reader models (like PRS-350 or 650) bought in the UK, but as far as I know Peru or even South America is not available as one of the available regions where the Reader/software will work.  I think my advice would be to exercise caution here, plus eBook content might be an issue especially if it's unclear whether you can purchase using a Peruvian IP address on the Internet.

Hope this helps at least a bit?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Drumzman
New

Hi Pete,

Not really sure of a definitive answer to this.  I know you can switch the Reader menu and the software language to Spanish for one of the latest Reader models (like PRS-350 or 650) bought in the UK, but as far as I know Peru or even South America is not available as one of the available regions where the Reader/software will work.  I think my advice would be to exercise caution here, plus eBook content might be an issue especially if it's unclear whether you can purchase using a Peruvian IP address on the Internet.

Hope this helps at least a bit?

loukemper
Visitor

DO NOT DO IT. the reader may work in another country, but the warranty is not covered by other countries.

i was bought an e reader by my parents in the uk, and i now live in canada, my e reader is broken, but sony in canada refuse to fix it as it was bought in the uk, even though they are all one in the same company. beware buying sony products from anywhere else other than the country it is gonna be used in.

best bet is to order it from that country.