Join now - be part of our community!

Confusion

profile.country.en_GB.title
Karenesque5
New

Confusion

I downloaded the latest reader software a few weeks ago and have been using it with no problems.  Tonight it tells me there is an updated version, so I download it and it is the US version, asking me to register for the Sony Reader Store.  I can't, I'm in the UK and the original store links for Waterstones, WH Smith are no longer there.  Will this US version of the software effect my ability to download books from the original stores?

11 REPLIES 11
Drumzman
New

Hi Karenesque5,

This may not be US software that you've downloaded - it would be strange if you received an automatic prompt to do this.

I suspect it may be 'Reader for PC' that you've downloaded (rather than the old 'Reader Library' software)?

If this is the case, then you should be OK.  There's going to be a Reader Store in the UK, although it's not been launched yet (rumour is around the beginning of December), and the new software I believe is to support this (as well as their new wireless Reader).  But there's no problem with continuing to use the likes of Waterstones and WHSmith.

Hope that helps?

Karenesque5
New

Thanks for the reply Drumzman.

I do have 'Reader for PC,' but the previous version still had the UK shops available when you clicked 'Store.'  The update has now given me a US version, there is an American flag in the top right, etc and when I go to the 'Store' now, I get taken to the American Sony store.  Hopefully, it will change when the UK version becomes available.  It is odd though because it was an automatic update.  Anyway, if you say it makes no difference, I'll get buying, I don't need much encouragement!

I have been looking longingly at the wifi version, but I have already bought a PRS650 (now passed to my father) and the PRS350 I bought as a replacement is less than a year old.....Can't really justify buying another reader:smileysad:

Drumzman
New

Hi Karenesque5,

I too updated Reader for PC which I have installed on a laptop, and if it's of any reassurance to you I get exactly the same - that is the US flag top right etc etc instead of the links to Waterstones, WH Smith and others, but you can still visit these sites directly.  Sounds like you don't need any encouragement to keep buying :smileywink:so no worries, I'd just hold off registering for the new UK Reader store until it's launched.

Happy continued reading!!:smileyhappy:

Karenesque5
New

Thanks Drumzman I appreciate it.  Unfortunately, I'm of the generation that didn't come out of the womb already computer literate, so always assume it's my fault, when the unexpected happens.  Steve Jobs biography here I come!

Message was edited by: Karenesque5

Message was edited by: Karenesque5

carpetmojo

"....................................Can't really justify buying another reader " :wink:

Course you can, you'm just not trying hard enough !  :devil:

Karenesque5
New

STOP IT!   I can't, no really, I can't......Alright maybe for Christmas.:smileygrin:

carpetmojo

AND you can salve yo conscience by saying it's a Christmas and New Year pressie - then accidentally forget when it's New Year, and get something else........:smileywink:

See, it's not confusing at all really, you just need to be creative.........:smileyplain:

Karenesque5
New

I'm the Goldilocks of e readers....I'm looking for one that's just right.  The way I'm going I'll have one for every day of the week.  Four so far.  Though the Sony is my favourite and I'm not just saying that because I'm on the Sony site.

Karenesque5
New

The deed is done....One T1 ordered, in red.  Though wish I hadn't now, on reading about the freezing issues.  Hopefully I'll get a well behaved one