Join now - be part of our community!

Pictures in non-fiction ebooks

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Cheerful_Dragon
Visitor

Pictures in non-fiction ebooks

I have a large number of books and I'm running out of shelf space. I've been looking at non-fiction titles in the ebooks and there are a number that I'm interested in. However, before I buy them I'd like to know if the ebook version comes with the pictures that I know will be in the 'hard copy' version.

If anybody out there has any non-fiction ebooks, please answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
PuppyDog
New

Hello Cheerful_Dragon

I've just purchased Anthony Beevor's non-fiction book about D-Day in Normandy and it contains lots of pictures and maps.

These are all rendering OK on the pocket reader.  As Drumzman said, clearly they can only be rendered in black and white/greyscale and, of course, they are, by definition, small! However, only this afternoon, I was playing with preview in ReaderLibrary and one can do a screen grab of a picture (Alt + PrintScreen) and manipulate it in any picture handling programme (We use IrfanView - absolutely brilliant freeware).

It was easy to resize/print etc.

Of course, this isn't going to be much use if you're sitting on a beach reading, but the picture on the 350 is quite clear, although small as I said.

Hope this helps

PuppyDog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Drumzman
New

Hello Cheerful_Dragon,

First, I must confess that I don't own any non-fiction eBooks - however of those eBooks that I do own, where there are illustrations in the paper copy they have always been reproduced in the e-version.  In theory, any eBook should be an exact copy of the original paper version, just in electronic format.  I can't see any reason why there should be any reason to distinguish between fiction and non-fiction as long as the file format is something like EPUB or PDF (rather than a .txt file) - don't know if that helps you?

The only thing I would say is that any illustrations that are in colour can only be displayed in greyscale on a Reader (although if the source image is in colour, the information is in the file and could be viewed in colour on a computer).

profile.country.GB.title
PuppyDog
New

Hello Cheerful_Dragon

I've just purchased Anthony Beevor's non-fiction book about D-Day in Normandy and it contains lots of pictures and maps.

These are all rendering OK on the pocket reader.  As Drumzman said, clearly they can only be rendered in black and white/greyscale and, of course, they are, by definition, small! However, only this afternoon, I was playing with preview in ReaderLibrary and one can do a screen grab of a picture (Alt + PrintScreen) and manipulate it in any picture handling programme (We use IrfanView - absolutely brilliant freeware).

It was easy to resize/print etc.

Of course, this isn't going to be much use if you're sitting on a beach reading, but the picture on the 350 is quite clear, although small as I said.

Hope this helps

PuppyDog

profile.country.GB.title
PuppyDog
New

Hi, Cheerful_Dragon

I'm so new to my EReader that I've only just noticed (this morning) that, when a picture/map is on display, it's possible to zoom into it. I haven't mastered scrolling it left/right and up/down, yet, but I'm convinced that's possible as well.

HTH

PuppyDog

eljeffe74
Visitor

Hi,

Most of the books I've bought have included any illustrations, however one of the few non-fiction books I've bought didn't include the maps and pictures, despite them being listed in the contents.  I bought the book from Waterstones and unwisely entered into a correspondance with their customer services team about it, which was a complete waste of time.  They clearly didn't read my emails at all before sending back a series of stock phrases and complete nonsense - at one point they offered me best wishes on getting my book published - and when I objected to this told me I should contact their head office direct if I wished to take the matter any further.

In my view, you are buying the same book as the hard copy, and it should include all the same material.  Especially as the ebook often costs more than the paperback!

carpetmojo

I think it sometimes depends on the format of the edition - how the person transfering it to ebook has formatted it.

I'm not a great tech, so can't help any further than that, but the reference works I've got have the diagrams/pics.

One hasn't, but it was a freebie, and I didn't want the pics anyway..