Join now - be part of our community!

PRS-600 won't sync or transfer files from computer to Reader. Can anyone help please, Manual is useless for this problem.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
teleajuna
Visitor

PRS-600 won't sync or transfer files from computer to Reader. Can anyone help please, Manual is useless for this problem.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kramers68
Visitor

Hello

This may help you.

Sony appear to have recently released new Reader software for both Mac and PC.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/690244

I downloaded it yesterday (22nd Sept) and it works a treat!

My Mac now recognises my PRS300 (without the need to boot as 32bit) and the problem I was having with syncing that kept freezing is resolved. Good news!

The solution comes just in time for me to pass my PRS300 onto the wife when I get the new model reader on 19th Oct.

hope the above link helps.

Gavin

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
teleajuna
Visitor

I have uninstalled and reinstalled reader software and i also reset the Reader to factory settings and deleted all original books from the data file before I started again. When I put the books and files I wanted into the Library on my computer it would not copy them to my Reader. When I try to Sync in just hangs and does nothing. Has anyone else had this problem? I have updated to Version 3.3 also.

pewills2186
Visitor

Hi. I have excatly the same problem. The sync icon goes round and round. Nothing further happens. Can anyone help?

teleajuna
Visitor

I took it to a sony shop and they reset it. It now works in a limited way, in that i can transfer files manually by dragging and dropping but it still won't syncronise automatically! has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Nasturtium
Visitor

I have the same problem on a regular basis - it will start processing then get stuck on syncing one book. I have tried various things including deleting the book from the Library - sometimes this works, sometimes it just gets stuck on another book. Last time I discovered that if you deleted a book from the Reader or Library, this doesn't automatically delete it from the Collections. If you go into the Collections the title appears but you get a message saying the file has been deleted. I also found that some of the books in the Library were "blank" when you tried to open them up. I went through opening each book in the Library and Collection one at a time, and Deleting if no file, then retried. Took ages but Sync worked afterwards.

I've noticed this is a particular problem with the Guttenburg books, but that may just be co-incidence.

I have to keep a copy of all the books in a seperate file on the computer, as well as in the Library as I don't trust the Library to maintain a working copy.

Presumably Sony monitor these posts - can we either have an updated manual explaining what causes the problem and how to fix it, or a download to fix it?

huwnerak
Visitor

PRS-600 was sync OK untill today.  Now when I plug in to the computer the Reader Library starts to sync then after about 30 seconds error message appears - "Reader Library has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry fo rthe inconvenience."  Tried resetting the PRS-600 and re-booting the computer but nothing seems to make any difference - any ideas please?

Chippy2
Visitor

I have had this problem for months, I tried everything - hard re-set - reinstallation of the library - deleting books but nothing worked.  I concluded that I had corrupted the software somehow.  I have not been able to get any help in finding a solution.  I have given up and sent my PRS-600 back to Sony for repair.  Having paid the repair fee up front, 10 days later I am still waiting for it to be returned and cured - I hope.  I think Sony should allow a re-programming of the reader via download.

profile.country.ro_RO.title
cristeis
Visitor

I also had the same problem and I think I found the solution. At least it worked for me. I have the PRS-600 and keep all my e-books on the SD card. I noticed that when re-syncing the books would double on the card. So, I removed the card from the reader and inserted it in the SD slot of the computer. I manually deleted all the books on the card (you can find them somewhere in a 'books' folder). Then I started the software Reader Library and did the syncing to the card. After all finished I put the card back in the reader and 'voila', it worked just fine. Apparently, re-syncing doesn't work the way it shoud. It actually re-copies the books to the reader/SD card.

teleajuna
Visitor

I hope Sony read these posts! Did you get your Sony Reader back? Does it work now? Please let us know the outcome. Thanks.

teleajuna
Visitor

That won't work for me as i don't use an SD card. It seems that if we can somehow delete all the books until it is blank, it may work again if we start from scratch. Has anyone tried that?