Join now - be part of our community!

PRS-T1 - can we use it ?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
carpetmojo

PRS-T1 - can we use it ?

I'm a little confused by the latest Sony development, the PRS-T1.

Could anyone (nudge to any helpful Sony presences :slight_smile: ) tell me if , when we can get hold of one, will we still be able to, basically, buy ebooks from our usual sources  - High Street chains like Waterstones etc... , on-line commercial "selling" libraries/collections -  and download from the 3xcellent free sites like Guthenburg ?

Because I don't think we have a Sony Bookstore as yet, and I don't know if we can buy from Google Books now.

I have a recipient in mind, who has a "loan" of my lovely 350, and I'm keen to reclaim it !

The tjing is, they already buy mostly from W/stones, for a number of reasons, and would want to continue, I know. But they would also be interested in the technological differences of the new model.

[ And,  incidentally, how useful is the "pinch" feature I wonder ? ]

Message was edited by: carpetmojo    Dreadful spelling..

Message was edited by: carpetmojo

Message was edited by: carpetmojo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi carpetmojo,

I've been keeping a close eye on this development as well!

I think the answer to your question is a resounding 'yes!' - we will be able to use the PRS-T1 here.  I've attached a couple of links to articles that I found an interesting read:

http://www.techradar.com/news/portable-devices/hands-on-sony-reader-wi-fi-prs-t1-review-1010464

http://www.t3.com/news/sony-products-ifa-2011-round-up?=60031

According to the information here it looks like we'll see it in the autumn sometime - and that the UK will also get our version of the Reader Store at the same time.  But it seems that because Sony are sticking with the 'open' ePUB format we will still be able to buy our eBooks from all the usual places as before (as well as the free loans from public libraries (for those of us lucky enough to have a local authority offering the service!)).

The good news I guess is that there'll just be one more option open to us in terms of where we can choose to buy our eBooks (plus the wireless download facility) - I'm sure this can only be a good thing.

I remember from one of your earlier posts about your 'permanent loan' situation:smileywink: with your PRS350 - so I hope an end may be in sight to its retrieval!  Good luck with that!!!

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for any more information, so I'll let you know if I find anything else.:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Drumzman
New

Hi carpetmojo,

I've been keeping a close eye on this development as well!

I think the answer to your question is a resounding 'yes!' - we will be able to use the PRS-T1 here.  I've attached a couple of links to articles that I found an interesting read:

http://www.techradar.com/news/portable-devices/hands-on-sony-reader-wi-fi-prs-t1-review-1010464

http://www.t3.com/news/sony-products-ifa-2011-round-up?=60031

According to the information here it looks like we'll see it in the autumn sometime - and that the UK will also get our version of the Reader Store at the same time.  But it seems that because Sony are sticking with the 'open' ePUB format we will still be able to buy our eBooks from all the usual places as before (as well as the free loans from public libraries (for those of us lucky enough to have a local authority offering the service!)).

The good news I guess is that there'll just be one more option open to us in terms of where we can choose to buy our eBooks (plus the wireless download facility) - I'm sure this can only be a good thing.

I remember from one of your earlier posts about your 'permanent loan' situation:smileywink: with your PRS350 - so I hope an end may be in sight to its retrieval!  Good luck with that!!!

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for any more information, so I'll let you know if I find anything else.:smileyhappy:

carpetmojo

Great stuff, Drumzman - yes, I think I might try going for hard sell tactics to the loanee !!

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Tada! Now on the UK website

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-t1

Sorry but I only got one photo of them at IFA in Berlin. Was far too much to see. The red looked good!DSC05295.jpg

carpetmojo

Yes, well, I think I'll pass on the red thanks !  Interestingly the red 650 seems to be the one you can get easily ! I think I know why...:smileywink:

I had found that up on the site a while ago , and there is a good video on MobileRead from probably the same fair.

I do, however,  find it strange that, as far as I can see, we are about the only market in Sony's global empire that don't have a firm indication of price - or have I missed the blindingly obvious ?

Sadly no chance of parity with US ($149-99) or the euro (varies from 140ish-e to 190ish-e [sorry, no euro symbol !).

Unless they're feeling nice..?    :neutral:

Drumzman
New

Hi carpetmojo,

Just noticed that a post has been placed mentioning new software for Reader - I'm guessing that this must be in preparation for the new PRS-T1 and also the new Reader Store!  So hopefully this means that developments are afoot including information on the pricing and availability for the new model?

Bated breath all round!:smileyhappy:

kramers68
Visitor

My local Sony store has informed me that the new model is due for release on 19th October and will cost £129.99 (the price is now on Sony site nut not release date).

My pre-order is in!!

Gavin

omar_g@ap64
Visitor

Hi There,

You can still download books for Reader Wi-Fi (PRS-T1) from all the ususal sources.

If you are in the UK, you will also be able to download from the Reader Store in a few weeks.

Omar