Join now - be part of our community!

PRS650 not holding charge

profile.country.en_GB.title
8megan8
Visitor

PRS650 not holding charge

I have the reader for around 8 months and it started to lose charge very quickly and it got to the point that I read less than 1 hour a day for 3 days and switched it off completely and the reader will lose all battery on the 4th day, I posted it back to sony repair center and they posted it back saying it is repaired (did not say what they have repaired) and tested.

When I got it back it has 1 bar of battery so I charged it up >3 hours using the USB cable on my Sony VAIO and guessed what ! I read 40mins 1st night, turned off completely and on the 2nd night, it has already lost 1 bar of battery, ready 30mins and turned it off completely and on the 3rd night, it is back to only 1 bar of battery and on the 4th night, it will not even turned on ! I got a feeling that it is using the charge even I have turned it off completely.

I sent the above as an email to sony saying it is not fixed and they replied

"We do apologise about the inconvenience caused, the repair centre will fix the E-Reader and ship it back to you fully working", does that mean I have to send it back AGAIN ?

Am I doing anything wrong on the charging ? The screen says fully charged and the little red light is off....

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Dublevay
Visitor

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. It charges fully, but then discharges within 48 hours. If I then recharge it, it seems to hold it for a longer period of time. It's almost like the old memory effect that you used to get with NiCd rechargeable batteries.

Damned annoying - and I am out of warranty.

JW

8megan8
Visitor

After trying to explain to the Sony customer service person that I am competent in charging the ereader and it has just been repaired (did not say what has been repaired on the return note) and the problem is not fixed, I have now re-send it back for re-repair. So much for not having to buy "books" anymore for it looks like I am out of the ereader for another 2 weeks !

carpetmojo

I'd suggest using a wall charger when you do get it back, and for a good few hours/overnight - you won't "over-charge" it. Problems charging have usually come via a PC charging regime, and the AC charger (reports say you don't have to buy a new one if you have the same fitting plug) does seem to give more "umph" and is more stable than a USB/PC charge.

In fact there have been cases of the PC actually discharging the battery overnight, not a good idea....

There have been a number of threads/posts on just this subject, or MobileRead has a vast amount of expert contributors on this - and almost every other subject going !

Hope you get sorted soon ................

8megan8
Visitor

Thank you for the reply.

Does it has to be a sony branded ac charger ? or any unbranded wall charger for the 650s ? We have tried a non-sony one when we first starting to have the problem for we also read it somewhere that it will help. We charged it for 3-4 hours and it lost all charges after 3 days as well.

(We tried to buy the sony charger but no one seem to sell it anymore ?!)

Drumzman
New

Hi 8megan8,

I understand that it is better to use the Sony charger - some of the unbranded ones don't work with the Sony Reader.  The reason for this is that the Reader is looking for a 'live' connection such as when it is connected to a computer that's switched on (I guess the fact that the Reader sees data whizzing about on a 'live' connection means that it knows it's connected and accepts the charge from a computer).  That's why the Reader stops charging if the computer goes onto standby.  With some USB chargers, the Reader I think treats them like a computer that's gone to sleep - so even though there's power there, it won't accept the charge.  With the Sony USB charger I gather there's an extra 'pin' connected in the lead or some such which instructs the Reader to take the charge effectively even though it's not connected to a computer.

I'm sure there must be other USB chargers out there that have the 'extra connection' and would work, but how you would tell I don't know - so for that reason probably better to go with the Sony charger.  Of course if you find a charger says that it will specifically work with the PRS650 then I assume that would be fine - just stay away from something a bit more generic I would say.

I can definitely support the comment that AC chargers work well though - from my own experience I too was finding that battery life seemed to be getting shorter, but after using the right charger and leaving it charging over night I found that battery life was restored and the charge held for much longer again.

Hope this helps.

8megan8
Visitor

Thank you for your suggestion.

My USB charger/Lead that use with PC's USB port is a Sony one - the one that came with the ereader. I just cannot manage to get a Sony brand AC adapter, only generic ones are available.Anyway, I have to wait until Sony fixed my reader first.

Drumzman
New

Hi 8megan8,

The 'extra connection' (if that's the right terminology) is something in the charger rather than the USB lead itself - any USB lead would be OK - they're all the same.  For example, I have a Sony USB charger specifically for my Walkman - but even this won't charge my Reader (pretty crazy really!)

It's a real nuisance if you can't find the official Sony charger, but I'm sure I've seen them in the usual places like eBay - sometimes you have more joy finding it if you use the model number - I think it's PRSA-AC1.

Hope you get your Reader back sorted from Sony :slight_smile:

carpetmojo

Yes, the topic of chargers gets aired quite frequently on MobileRead, and there are certain chargers that will work OK and charge up the x50 range. I can't remember what phones etc.. they come from, but there are a lot of reports of successfully using them.

Sign up to the Forum and find out, it's very easy, and has a lot of other resources for ereading, and advice from experts.

( And I'm not on commission for MobileRead, by the way, simply had my eyes opened to the possibilities there are within our little gadgets! )

This site, and MobileRead, and you're well prepared for most contingencies. :slight_smile: