Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S490 Star Trek Into Darkness 3D problems

SOLVED
Splatterjay
Explorer

BDP-S490 Star Trek Into Darkness 3D problems

The new Star trek Into darkness 3D blu-ray won't play correctly on my Sony blu-ray BDP-S490. On insertion it ask for a firmware update and apon re-insertion it plays but the sound keeps cutting out every few minutes. I checked but i am up to date on my network updates, I guess Sony has been caught on the hop by this one. I guess quite a few people will need this update shortly. Or is there some other sound setting I could use as a work round? Help 😞

13 REPLIES 13
Splatterjay
Explorer

Yes I think I said earlier that I am on the latest firmware from Sony. They need to issue a new firmware to deal with this. Thanks anyway
Splatterjay
Explorer

Are we sure that it is encryption that causes the problem or just that the Blu-ray 'standard' is not very standard. As to bit torrent, if everyone uses those then at some point in the future there will be no new blu- rays or DVDs and then possibly no new films made because they can't make any money. Just as if we always buy from Amazon eventually there will be no high street DVD shops or bookshops.
Splatterjay
Explorer

I returned my copy of the disc to Amazon but I won't be getting a replacement as I have no confidence that another disc will work.

Sony have not aknowledged that there is a problem with this disk or said they will come out with an firmware update. How can i trust that any future disk will work in my player?

When paramount have had a few million of these discs back, maybe they will put out a fully tested disk and then if there is a problem respond to unhappy customers more quickly acknowledging the problem more truthfully.

If Paramount tell me what the actual problem is I may consider buying from Paramount again, otherwise not.
Splatterjay
Explorer

Star date: 3/10/2013. Sony just came up with a software update which includes 'Cinavia™ content protection technology' so that was the problem. 

It would have been good if Sony could have acknowledged that 'Cinavia content protection' might be a problem all along and produced a software update more quickly.

I bought the disc (Star trek ITD) again and it works ok with no sound drop out or warnings about firmware update. But it's not very good that a major company like Sony weren't ahead of the game and ready with a software update when the film came out