Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S790 DVD-AUDIO?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tommytinkroom
Explorer

BDP-S790 DVD-AUDIO?

Recently bought this player from an open box sale,after reading all the favourable reveiws.

But i did notice all the cons against it says that it does'nt support dvd-audio,and on page 41 of the

manual under discs it can't play dvd-audio is in the list.

So just for the hell of it i put my Ziggy Stardust dvd-audio in the player and lo and behold it plays it

no problem,shows the menu and pumps out DTS 5.1.Also tried my Fragile (Yes) dvd-audio and once

again it played it no problem..

Just wondering why this player is reveiwed everywhere saying does not support dvd-audio when it does.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does seem to appear that a FW update (at some point), has rectified that issue.

On a side note, I also have the 1000X3D, and love it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I can only think of the following 3 scenarios on this

1. All the reviews are wrong - In the specifications of this player, it doesnt say anything about DVD-Audio.  Maybe all the reviews just took their information from the specs without actually testing it.
  2. Firmware update - Sony might have released a firmware update to this player.  New players have this firmware automattically applied.  But the specifications page has not been updated, hence reviews not updated.
  3. Your wrong - The Ziggy Stardust DVD you have is not actually a DVD-Audio disc, just a normal DVD.

At the end of the day, if this player is doing more than you expected, its a bonus.  Well Done!

Cheers

tommytinkroom
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for your reply.I was thinking your second senario seems the most logical with the firmware update.

When i set the player up it already had the latest firmware version which was released in May 2013.

Yes this is quite a bonus having it play sacd and dvd-audio,because i noticed players that support both

these formats tend to be high end players like oppo or denon etc which are over my budget at the moment.

Yes both the discs i tried are deffo dvd-audio Yes fragile and Ziggy stardust both with DTS 5.1.

PS change log on firmware update does't mention dvd-audio now supported.

tommytinkroom
Explorer

Just had a reply on another forum,and a poster reckons it will play the dvd-audio but does'nt play

the audio back on  full resolution like a dedicated dvd-audio player would.

I will have to investicate this further.

tommytinkroom
Explorer

Well i just played the Ziggy Stardust dvd-audio in the bdp-790 again and on the disc menu it says for dts is DTS 5.1 48/24Khz,then during playback on the 790 audio reads out as English DTS 5.1 48kHZ 754Kbps and my sony dn1040 front display reads out DTS 5.1(3/2.1). i've also made an iso backup of the disc which i play in my Mede8er1000x3d media server which plays back with the same readings.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does seem to appear that a FW update (at some point), has rectified that issue.

On a side note, I also have the 1000X3D, and love it.