Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia XR-65A95K stripe down the screen

profile.country.US.title
DeonCLondon
New

Bravia XR-65A95K stripe down the screen

Anyone had similar experience with their Bravia-XR TV ? My XR-65A95K is barely 18 months old, and suddenly developed this roughly 5cm wide strip that runs down the length of the screen - done all the updating & factory resetting Sony recommends on product pages, but still there, no matter what source I'm selecting and viewing on the TV. 

Very disappointing for such an expensive TV to be broken like this, and not sure if this is a repairable fault (or worth the cost and effort to get it repaired). Assume its some fault in the display into, which I'm guessing is a solid unit and will require the replacement part of the whole TV OLED (or whatever pixel technology is behind these TV's) .. 

Anyone experience something similar / worth trying to get fixed ? I'm London based and there is no Sony authorised repair place close - will require packing into car and driving quite a bit. stripe across screenstripe across screen

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

What length of warranty did you get with your A95K some places and even Sony may have offered a 5 year warranty.

profile.country.US.title
DeonCLondon
New

Unfortunately only 1yr .. which makes this a very hard pill to swallow considering this was a £3k purchase :((

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi DeonCLondon

welcome to the Sony Europe user community.

Not much help I’m afraid but I had something similar, a few years back, where a third of the screen was similar to what you have but mine was caused by accidental damage.

Unfortunately it was a costly experience as I had to buy a replacement model. 

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Did you buy this TV in the UK, and where from?

You are right 18 months is no time at all for such an expensive item to develop what is probably quite a serious fault.

The cost to you of repairing may indeed be as much as replacing the TV.

You should look into the Sale Of Goods Act for televisions and see if it is possible that you can claim a repair 

as it is under 6 years old (England & Wales). I don't know exactly how this would work in your case perhaps somebody on these pages may be able to help a bit more.

The Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to advise you more to your rights in this matter.

Have you got a receipt of purchase and how soon after the 1 year warranty expired did the TV develop the fault.

profile.country.US.title
DeonCLondon
New

I had bought it direct from Sony in UK off their Sony UK website, so have all the invoices details etc stored on my Sony account.

Thanks for the heads on the Sales of Goods Act & Citizen Advice Bureau topics .. was not aware of them, will have a look there for some help. The problem developed roughly 8 months after the 1yr "warrantee" from Sony .. there was an option to have purchased additional 1yr cover at the time, but had thought not needed as I have 2 x other Sony Bravia TV's that are both now over 10yrs old, and never given a days problem !  

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

It's a shame Sony don't give an automatic multi year warranty. They do however offer 5 year warranties on selected models which you have to make a claim for within 90 days of purchase. I know it is too late for you

but click below if interested.

https://www.sony.co.uk/promo/5yearwarranty

In future buy from John Lewis or Richer Sounds as they give automatic 5 year and 6 year warranties respectively,

and have pretty good customer support.

Unfortunately I don't think that new breed of "smart" TVs are as durable as TVs of old.

I too have a 32inch LED Sony Bravia that is 14 years old and has had no issues. I replaced that with a 43 inch

Sony LED which after 14 months developed a fault, under the 5 year warranty from John Lewis was picked up

repaired and delivered in 3 days. Mainboard failure, a common problem with Sony TVs at the time according

to the engineer. That TV is now just one month shy of 5 years and has worked flawlessly since the repair.

I have an XR42A90K oLED Sony just over a year old (beautiful picture) and thankfully have a 5 year warranty,

but touchwood nothing goes wrong.

Have you contacted Sony to discuss the issue and sent them pictures to see if the can give you an idea of

what the fault maybe. 

Going to or phoning Citizens Advice and explaining that you understand that the TV is out of warranty but

believe buying any TV never mind an expensive one should last a lot longer than 18 months and would it deemed

an unreasonable amount of time under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (this superseded the Sale Of Goods Act, my bad). click below.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

I really don't know if things will work in your favour but it must be worth shot, unfortunately it may be that you have to convince Sony that the fault with the TV was inherent from manufacture and only manifested itself later on.