Join now - be part of our community!

Hi ,is there a way to connect the Center channel output from a HT-A5000 to another not SONY device ?

profile.country.SE.title
50nWyToMe
New

Hi ,is there a way to connect the Center channel output from a HT-A5000 to another not SONY device ?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey 50nWyToMe, I don't think it's guaranteed since the feature is mainly for Sony devices. But you may post the model number of your device to see if other users did it, or contact its support. 

profile.country.GB.title
kendalwilliams
Explorer

Yes, you can connect the center channel output from an HT-A5000 to another device with the help of the TV center speaker mode cable. Here are the steps you need to follow to complete the process.

• Firstly, connect your speaker system and TV using the HDMI cable. (This cable comes with the sound bar.)
  • Now, with the help of the TV center speaker mode cable, join the S-CENTER SPEAKER IN on your TV and the S-CENTER OUT jack on the speaker system. 
  • Next, change the input of the speaker system to the input of the other device. 
  • On your TV remote control, press the TV/AUDIO SYSTEM to change the output for the other connected device. 
  • Finally, change the audio settings of your TV to Audio System.

Thankyou!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@kendalwilliams 

You lost me 😢

Any chance of a diagram?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.SE.title
50nWyToMe
New

Hi again , i think you miss understand , my TV is NOT a SONY and it has no Center speaker input  , that was the reason i asked ..... :slight_smile: 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@50nWyToMe 

I was trying to stay out of this one, as I don’t really know the answer, but some first principles deduction may get you closer than anything said so far:-

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/5029/871841a26812d8faffdebaa005f29955/50294801M...

From here we can see that this is an ordinary stereo minijack connection. So analogue, not digital.

We can also deduce that the output from the soundbar, if indeed it’s not on all the time, will be switched on mechanically by plugging in the jack. And it seems that’s all there is to it, as there is nothing you need enable on the soundbar for this to work.

So what’s coming down this cable? Maybe a fixed level signal, maybe a variable one; maybe it needs amplifying by whatever you plug it into, maybe it’s strong enough to feed a loudspeaker direct.

But why a stereo cable? All I needs to be is mono. So is it the same signal in both leads, or is one silent, or does one carry a logic signal to control the Sony TV it’s designed for? Or is the signal really stereo, and the TV actually takes advantage of this?

To sort this out, I’d get a cable that was minijack to two RCA plugs, and something I could plug one or both of the RCA plugs into, that had an amplifier and speaker capability, and connect each plug in turn, starting with the soundbar playing at a normal level and the amplifier turned down to zero and then increasing the volume carefully, until I found out what each lead did, at what volume. And if it was stereo, or double mono, or what.

Then I would try adjusting the soundbar volume, and seeing if this affected the volume coming from the amplifier. On completing all this, I would then know what I was dealing with.

Or maybe some kind soul at Sony with the relevant expertise could save us the trouble by describing what, exactly, this cable does.

A caveat to all this though, is what are you trying to achieve? We know that when this is all set up with a Sony TV, the soundbar centre speaker continues to output the centre signal, and the TV centre speaker is added to get some of the sound located behind the screen which helps the ear to lock on to where the sound is supposed to be coming from. So if you use a separate centre speaker, as you are intending, where are you going to put it that will have this effect, rather than actually detracting from it?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…