Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR-DH790 and WiFi

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
user-robin
New

Sony STR-DH790 and WiFi

Hi, I have an STR-DH790 multi channel AV receiver. We ran it sort of OK with Airband at roughly 40Mbps.  We have just got Full fibre at 500Mbps. On switching to the new WiFi service last night we only got a WiFi strength of 2-3Mbps with much buffering to watch a movie. This despite doing a broadband speedtest with an iPad placed on the receiver showing 380Mbps.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Robin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@user-robin 

I can’t find any mention of WiFi in the manual for this receiver? Nor internet?

Bluetooth yes, but no internet connectivity.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4726/890436b47fd2ffcc4003f34dc5f2592c/47269051M...

Are you doing this via a media box, or a TV? In which case this is the thing with the issue, not the receiver.

Or have you got the receiver model number wrong, perhaps?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Pardon but what has to do the WiFi of the receiver with watching a movie?

profile.country.GB.title
user-robin
New

Hi, because we use WiFi to get to the internet to stream movies from Netflix and the like. When check the network on the Sony it says Strength: Fair, Quality: Poor.  The router is running at 5Ghz.

The notes with network status suggest using an ethernet adapter, but there is no ethernet port on the Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
user-robin
New

I'm sorry, it seems that I'm confused. I now think that the problem is more to do with the Firestick that we use to connect to Netflix etc.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@user-robin 

I can’t find any mention of WiFi in the manual for this receiver? Nor internet?

Bluetooth yes, but no internet connectivity.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4726/890436b47fd2ffcc4003f34dc5f2592c/47269051M...

Are you doing this via a media box, or a TV? In which case this is the thing with the issue, not the receiver.

Or have you got the receiver model number wrong, perhaps?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…