Join now - be part of our community!

HT-MT500 Sound Bar

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

HT-MT500 Sound Bar

Not sure if anyone can help as I think there may be a problem with the unit, but it is less than 2 years old and has started acting up. Very disappointing for such an expensive product. Firstly, I can't connect any devices via Bluetooth anymore. The remote control does not function correctly in that pressing the Home button does not produce anything on the Sony TV screen. When highlighting the HDMI port that the sound bar is connected to via the TVs input button, the screen is blank. Switching on the sound bar with 'TV' as attge default renders the actual TV mute. So many issues that have suddenly just appeared! Batteries in remote are new. HDMI cable is fine. I think I may have to take for repair unless anyone can advise a workaround. Many thanks in advance.

29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

Thank you for your reply! I managed to source a reconditioned replacement to
my MT500 from e-bay, so I will see how it goes, but as you say the quality
of these particular sound bars seems very poor. The one I had only lasted 20
months! Thank s again and good luck.
profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

There seems to be a theme here. I bought mine in November 2018. It failed in March 2019. Away under warranty for 6 weeks and came back functioning (sort of) having had its main pcb replaced. It died again last Friday. Completely. No extended warranty apparently despite the previous problems. Repair costs sound as if they are going to be greater than the original purchase price.

I too would appreciate a recommendation for a good quality replacement!!!

Many thanks - more in hopes than anticipation 😞

Thanks for your reply! Sorry to hear that – the one I had lasted for 20 months but like yours became very costly to repair so I had to bin it! I have sourced a replacement on e-bay, which is reconditioned, so will see how long that lasts. I needed the same one as I have a recess that can only take one that size! A bad decision with hindsight. Good luck with your search.
profile.country.GB.title
terhadde
New

Appreciate the sympathy. Sorry to hear you suffered a similar issue.

I'm in contact with Sony now and wondering if any more support may be available. Hope so.

Trust your 'new' unit serves you better than the original.
profile.country.GB.title
dblanc42

Hi, 

Keep us posted on how you get on with Sony. They basically fobbed me off, despite an attempt at escalating. 

Considering notifying BBC watchdog to see if they'd be interested , but very much not expecting the anything 😊

Not found a good replacement soundbar... They're either small and cheap, or expense and big 🤔

profile.country.GB.title
terhadde
New

Thanks for getting back to me.

I will certainly let you know what happens - if anything!!

Cheers,

Terry
profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

Thanks very much and good luck with that. The fact they no longer sell these
units speaks volumes I think! If you do hear anything from Sony, I'd be
interested to know what they have to say. Thank you.
profile.country.GB.title
Dt34794PT_
New

Same issue for me. Mine died a year in to ownership and John Lewis can't source the parts to repair it under warranty.

I'm now left needing to find a replacement with the same features and with similar dimensions to fit within the limited space I can dedicate to a soundbar.

Very disappointed with Sony, I expected more.

profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

Sorry to hear you had the same issues. Seems to have been a very poorly made
model and that’s why they’ve stopped spare parts I think.

I contacted Sony and told them of my woes – they have reimbursed me £120.
That was after 2 years of use before it failed. Doesn’t solve your problem
about space – I had same issue there too but just had to buy another one
that covered the slot I had for MT500 as best it could – but at least you
can have some money back! I guess if yours was under warranty you would have
been reimbursed anyway.

All the best.
profile.country.GB.title
Dt34794PT_
New

Yeah, thankfully I received a full refund in the form of a credit note to purchase a replacement. I'd prefer to have had the money so I could shop around but it's better than it could have been.

profile.country.GB.title
Weslamb
Explorer

Same problem here! Seems like a firmware issue however I can’t even get to the firmware update option to upgrade it!

crazy...