HT-ZF9 Soundbar set up with Sky Q & Samsung TV

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
trick180882
New

HT-ZF9 Soundbar set up with Sky Q & Samsung TV

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could avise on this?

I  recently bought the Sony HT-ZF9 soundbar and have set it up with my Samsng 4K tv and Sky Q set top box as per the instructions.  This basically uses HDMI arc between the TV and the soundbar.  The sky Q is connected directly into the soundbar (HDMI 2 port).  This all works perfectly but I'm not sure whether i'm getting Dolby Atmos when watcing a Dolby Atmos movie on Sky Q.

On Samsung TV's they have a HDMI output sound setting where you can select from PCM, Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus.  The Dolby Digital Plus is what is used to poducte Atmos.  This all works fine when watching the apps from the TV and the sound is amazing.  But when watching Sky it only shows the PCM option, which made me think that I may need to connect Sky Q directly into the TV rather than the soundbar.

I did try this and, surprise surprise, I could select Dolby Digital Plus on the TV.  The only issue here is that I need to switch between two HDMI settings on the TV when I either want to watch Sky or an ap through the TV.  The lip sync is out as well.  This is not ideal.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  The issue I have is that the soundbar itself doesn't give any indictaion watsoever that it is recieving Atmos content.  My gut feeling is that the soundbar may be producing the Sky Q atmos content when it is connected directly to the soundar but there's no way of telling.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IE.title
Misty777
Explorer

When you press display on the soundbar remote then look at the grille on the soundbar and it shows what audio it's using .I have apple tv4k connected to hdmi 1 on soundbar and if its an atmos soundtrack, when I press display on soundbar remote,  atmos appears on soundbar display. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IE.title
Misty777
Explorer

When you press display on the soundbar remote then look at the grille on the soundbar and it shows what audio it's using .I have apple tv4k connected to hdmi 1 on soundbar and if its an atmos soundtrack, when I press display on soundbar remote,  atmos appears on soundbar display. 

profile.country.GB.title
trick180882
New

Hi there,

That works perfectly.  I can’t believe even I haven’t seen that button.  It’s told me everything I need and indeed I do get Dolby Atmos through Sky Q even though it doesn’t say so on the tv.

Thanks and regards

profile.country.IE.title
Misty777
Explorer

You're welcome.