Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65AG8 and HT-ZF9

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
stetower
Explorer

KD-65AG8 and HT-ZF9

Hi, 

I recently purchased the Sony KD-65AG8 TV and the Sony Ht-zf9 and I have a query regarding Doly Atmos sound.

I have the soundbar connected via the arc connection and the sound from netflix is great. I have played some dolby vision content on Netflix, but the soundbar does not display Doly Atmos. My question is should there be a Dolby Atmos display on the soundbar? If I press display it says Lpcm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

AG9 has also other features (better soc, better video processing, earc, airplay, Android Pie) but it has also and higher price....

In any case even on Dolby Atmos enabled TV you will get a lossy version of Atmos in the DD+ flow on streaming services. It will make a difference (if you are an audiophile) if you listen to an UHD bluray with a true lossless Atmos track and a real HT with 7.1.2 channels not a soundbar

Sure with DD+ you'll get a good multichannel experience

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If the soundbar says lpcm probably you set the audio digital output on the tv on PCM rather than bitstream

profile.country.GB.title
stetower
Explorer

Thank you for your reply. So I need to set the audio output from the TV to bitstream in order to get Dolby Atmos.

If Dolby Atmos is being used should it show Dolby Atmos on the soundbar? I did look in the manual and could not see anything around this.

Thanks

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

AFAIK AG8 does not support Dolby Atmos, so probably you won't get it anyway... But if you set it to output in PCM you won't get Dolby digital or any multichannel output, only stereo

profile.country.GB.title
stetower
Explorer

That is a shame that it does not support Dolby  Atmos, but just checked a couple of links and it says it does not. Should have gone for the a9g.

So I need to set the TV audio output to dolby digital plus to get the best sound, correct? 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

AG9 has also other features (better soc, better video processing, earc, airplay, Android Pie) but it has also and higher price....

In any case even on Dolby Atmos enabled TV you will get a lossy version of Atmos in the DD+ flow on streaming services. It will make a difference (if you are an audiophile) if you listen to an UHD bluray with a true lossless Atmos track and a real HT with 7.1.2 channels not a soundbar

Sure with DD+ you'll get a good multichannel experience

profile.country.GB.title
stetower
Explorer

Thanks for your help on this, I will change my settings this evening and see if it makes a difference.

I could not quite stretch to the ag9, still very pleased with the ag8 though.