Join now - be part of our community!

Question for serious Sony audio/video geek

Question for serious Sony audio/video geek

I got Sony Bravia KDL-46X2000 which I bought over 6 years ago. 
I’m happy with my old TV and don’t feel like I need to change it...
My friend suggested that I get BDP-S590 Blu-ray player and hook it up to gain access to some of smart TV functions. I liked the idea but thought I'd also like to get some home cinema as well. I can see that these days all home cinemas coming with the player included. My questions are as follows…

Question No.1:
Is it better to buy BDV-N590 (home cinema with player)…has MID reviews
or BDP-S590 (Blu-ray player)…has GOOD reviews + HT-CT260 (sound bar)…has GOOD reviews

Question No. 2:
What are the differences in smart TV capabilities and Blu-ray/DVD/Music playback between BDP-S590 (Blu-ray player) and BDV-N590 (home cinema with player)
...skip the obvious ones like 5.1 (I know that) only the smart TV/disc playback functions

Question No. 3:
Can BDV-N590 (home cinema with player) also allows to share music and movies wirelessly like stream photos, TV shows and other media from PC or laptop just like BDP-S590 (Blu-ray player)???

I would really appreciate your help as I’m really struggling to make a decision.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets see if I can answer your questions:

@Tomshow007 wrote:

Question No.1:
Is it better to buy BDV-N590 (home cinema with player)…has MID reviews
or BDP-S590 (Blu-ray player)…has GOOD reviews + HT-CT260 (sound bar)…has GOOD reviews

As far as im concerned (my oppinion) - It is always better to get the physical 5.1 speakers instead of a simulated surround sound from a soundbar.  Also that soundbar does not have HDMI connectivity, connects via optical TOSLINK cable.

@Tomshow007 wrote:

Question No. 2:
What are the differences in smart TV capabilities and Blu-ray/DVD/Music playback between BDP-S590 (Blu-ray player) and BDV-N590 (home cinema with player)
...skip the obvious ones like 5.1 (I know that) only the smart TV/disc playback functions

They are both 2012 models, therefore Smart TV (internet) functions should be near or more likely identical.  In regards to other capabilities, you needs to compare the specifications between the two players, and lean towards what is going to be more suitable for you:

Spec Pages:

BDP-S590 - HERE

BDV-N590 - HERE

@Tomshow007 wrote:

Question No. 3:
Can BDV-N590 (home cinema with player) also allows to share music and movies wirelessly like stream photos, TV shows and other media from PC or laptop just like BDP-S590 (Blu-ray player)???

In regards to streaming media - both are capable of DLNA streaming wirelessly.  A very quick look at the spec's, they both seem to play the same media files - probably because they are both 2012 models.

Hopefully that answers your questions.  As always, do your research fully to ensure that you get the best product to suit your requirements.

Cheers