Join now - be part of our community!

Rakuten TV App - Service Stopping on Sony platforms?

profile.country.GB.title
mifiddl
Explorer

Rakuten TV App - Service Stopping on Sony platforms?

HI, not totally sure if this is the correct forum but here goes...

The Rakuten TV app on my Blu Ray player is showing a message that the service will stop on the 2nd December 2021.  Is anyone else seeing this?

My player is a BDP-S6500, so a few years old...so I am not sure if it is related to the age of my player, and may not be an issue for more recent models. 

My TV, KD-55X8509C, also has the Rakuten app, but this has become very flakey...it often says the TV is not connected to the internet and takes me back to the menu when I try to use it, hence my using the Blu Ray player.  I am not seeing the same message on the tv but that could be because the app isn't working at all..

Any insights appreciated!

cheers

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It is not the right place not being an Android TV, but also my own  2013's s5100 player in Italy is displaying the very same message. It is probably due to an uncommon and old platform, other apps will do the same in the year to come unfortunately

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb 

Unless somebody moved it here from Android TV, this post is under Home Cinema, which seems like the right place to me?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
mifiddl
Explorer

HI Royabrown2, yes it was moved, cheers  :slight_smile:   I wasn't quite sure of the best place as my question is more around the Rakuten app rather than the hardware tbh

Does anyone know if the app will still be available and working on recent TVs and Blu Ray players?   

cheers

m

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You should better check this out with Rakuten itself. On their website they still enlist any BDP from 2012 onward (and we know it is not true anymore) as well as selected Android TV models from 2019 onward (even if I have it installed on my older A1 but I don't know if it works anymore)

https://help.rakuten.tv/hc/en-gb/articles/207705745-Compatible-Android-TV-devices

profile.country.GB.title
mifiddl
Explorer

Cheers, have been having a painful conversation with their

Customer Services to try and get to the bottom of things.   I'll post here if I get a straight answer....

if only the app on my tv worked but thats v flakey...maybe I should just buy a new tv

thanks

m