Join now - be part of our community!

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

SOLVED
mifello36
New

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

Hi. Hope somebody can help. Mum has a HT-CT60 sound bar connected to TV with optical cable. This has worked well for 12 months but had suddenly stopped working. I have changed the battery in the remote. When I press the power button on the remote, 2 lights on the sound bar illuminate briefly for a couple of seconds and then go off. No sound comes out as it seems that the unit is turning itself off immediately. Any suggestions?
85 REPLIES 85

Hi there! Note sure if you're still checking this thread, but I'm planning to carry out this repair on the capacitor and the issue I'm facing is getting the mainboard out. Do I have to disconnect all of the little ribbons etc to get it out? Or use a very short screwdriver to remove it maybe? Any help appreciated! Thank you! 

profile.country.GB.title
ellawri
Explorer

It's been a while but I'm sure I just carefully removed the ribbons.

If I remember  there is one you can't disconnect but you can still get to it easily.

I hope that helps.

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

I'm pretty sure that the ribbon cable just pulls out of the board.  Someone else in this thread tried to pry up the plastic base that the ribbon cable plugs into and caused damage to the board, so don't try that!

Loneman
Explorer

Another massive thankyou to Soughnie and another fixed & perfectly working HT-CT60!

As some others, there was no visual indication of a faulty cap, no bulging or leaking but I replaced it anyway and all is good now.  I did notice a couple of the larger caps were starting to bulge so I've ordered 5 to have spare, just in case.

Again, thanks very much for this fix, saved me the cost & hassle of getting a new soundbar. :thumbsup:

profile.country.GB.title
ellawri
Explorer

Spoiler
Spoiler

That’s great! I couldn’t have repaired mine without the help of Soughnie.

Glad it’s up and running again. I think I’ll do likewise and order a few spares. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

Yeah, those caps are really low quality.  I'm surprised that Sony cheaped out so badly on these units....crap caps, crap soldering.  I guess they have to keep costs low to make their shareholders happy!  Sony's days are numbered, as are Toshiba's.  I like Sony's old stuff from the 90's but everthing now seems to be garbage, especially their flat screen TV's.  Toshiba makes an excellent flat screen TV, but they are quite expensive when compared to TCL, Vizio, Samsung, etc.

Thank you Loneman and Ellawri for the kind words! 

Cj1965
Explorer

Great post very helpful. Did the repair no problem however I now have no sound. Turns on and stays on though😀

Just St wondering if I have inadvertently not plugged something in or upset something

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

I would double check your connections if your sound isn't working.  Make sure everything got plugged back in before you put the unit back together. 

Thank you. I have just followed your instructions. The capacitor cost 49 pence at Maplins. 

Sounbar works like new. 

profile.country.GB.title
SparkyOne1
New

Soughnie - you are a God.

87p bag of caps from Amazon and 40 mins later all is good.

Many thanks.