Join now - be part of our community!

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

SOLVED
mifello36
New

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

Hi. Hope somebody can help. Mum has a HT-CT60 sound bar connected to TV with optical cable. This has worked well for 12 months but had suddenly stopped working. I have changed the battery in the remote. When I press the power button on the remote, 2 lights on the sound bar illuminate briefly for a couple of seconds and then go off. No sound comes out as it seems that the unit is turning itself off immediately. Any suggestions?
85 REPLIES 85

Hi,

I've just dismanteld my ct60 and I want to perform the fix but as shown in the photo's I have all this hardened yellow gunk on some of the components. So, how do I remove this stuff (safely) so I can get on with replacing c914?

Many thanks for getting me this far and thanks in advance!

profile.country.GB.title
iasathe83
Explorer

Hi there,

Sorry I am unable to offer any help with this. There was not any 'gunk' on
mine so I didn't have that issue.

Sorry.

Regards,

Ian

Ian Satherley
profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

That yellow stuff is just hot glue. cut it away with a knife or use a heat gun to soften it.

--
[cid:part1.CC802CAC.73A52539@live.com]
profile.country.NL.title
Wouter010NL
Explorer

Hi Soughnie, 

Sorry for the late response.

I've used a heatgun on the main board, plugged in the powersupply and made many attempts to turn on the device while heating up the main board with the heatgun. What should I expect to happen, that it turns on?  Or that the capacitor blows up?

Also, I've purchased a small soldering iron, how should I check which is broken? Should I just hold it against the solder joint, and try to turn on the device? Solder joint for solder joint? 

Thanks in advance, I'm going to buy cold spray now 😛

Best, Wouter

profile.country.GB.title
iasathe83
Explorer

The damaged capacitor should be at the front of the board, it will have a
small bulge on the top slightly cracked. Mine was difficult to see without a
magnifying glass.

Regards,

Ian

Ian Satherley
profile.country.GB.title
ellawri
Explorer

Hi, I repaired my sound bar following this advice a long time ago...unfortunately it started playing up again. When I stripped it down I noticed a few capacitors were bulging so I took it to my local TV repair shop. He replaced eight capacitors and charged me £10 and it’s as good as new again. Might be worth asking your local electronics repair shop before buying anything else. Good luck! 

profile.country.GB.title
Bob_Rich
New

Hi

I changed all the main capacitors in my one but to no avail. It seems to be stuck in standby type mode
and would not respond at all. So I have had to send it to the electronics gracve yard.
Thanks for the info and the suggestion and info though

Bob
profile.country.GB.title
Bob_Rich
New

Hi

first time i fixed this it was a capacitor in the position you describe I changed it and it ran for around another year
then one day complete dead when tried to start. changed all the capacitors in the power supply still no joy so
diodes and transistor in the PSU OK as well so have abandoned it as a lost cause

thanks for the info though

bob
profile.country.GB.title
adbubu71
Explorer

Hi All, 

I have the problem where the sound bar powers up and lights stay on but there is no sound on any sources. It has been popping and clicking for some time and the sound kept randomly cutting out. I replaced the optical cable and it seemed to get a little better until now where no sound is coming through. I can’t see a bulge on C914 capacitor but it is covered with gunk. Had anyone had success with replacing this capacitor for issues other than the unit powering off after a few seconds of turning on?

Thank you,

Adrian

profile.country.GB.title
iasathe83
Explorer

Adrian,

It was very difficult for me to see the 'bulge' in the said capacitor. I
suggest you clean off the 'gunk' and a very close look with a magnifying
glass or similar. It did work for me.

Regards,

Ian

Ian Satherley