Netflix on Sony Products FAQ

jaylward
3,190  Views

As there has been a good number of questions posted about Netflix on Sony products, I thought I would provide a comprehensive and consolidated FAQ on the subject.  I will update as new questions arise or if anything needs further clarification.

• Will my device get Netflix?
    • Simple answer is, if it hasn't got it already, then it won't be getting it I'm afraid.

• What devices do have Netflix support?
    • All 2012 platform BRAVIA televisions, Blu-ray players, Blu-ray Home Theatre Kits and Google TV. For clarity, this does not include the BDP-S185 and HX923 televisions which although still retailed in 2012, are actually based on the 2011 platform. As a rough rule of thumb, if its available to currently purchase on the this website, then it should be compatible.

• Why can't my device receive Netflix when its available on previous US TV's from the same generation?
    • DRM requirements have changed since Netflix first launched in the US a few years back. Thus its now mandated that the devices have to support Playready as well as supporting specific browsers to deliver a consistent experience . Only products from 2012 and onwards deliver on both of these criteria and so unfortunately its not possible to backport it to previous models due to the changes in requirements. We recognise this is a huge frustration for customers and have have examined every angle when it comes to finding a workaround, however it has not been possible unfortunately.

• Netflix appeared on my device temporarily and now isn't there, what happened?
    • This is a quirk usually caused by geofiltering glitchs and can sometimes caused by new IP addresses being used by the ISP which were previously used in the US. This normally clears itself or customers can reset their modem or call their ISP to have the connection reset. If your device isn't mentioned in the first bullet point then its not compatible with the UK version of Netflix unfortunately.

• Sony are holding back on the service to push people to upgrade their TV's?
    • Categorically not true. We would love more people to have access to the service and avoid our customers being unhappy, but as above, its not technically possible to deliver the mandated elements on older products.

• I live outside the UK, what if Netflix launch in my region soon?
    • Impossible to confirm, but if you have a product from 2012 onwards then there is a good likelyhood that the service will get pushed out when it goes live.

Hope this helps . 

2 Comments