Join now - be part of our community!

Sony X9005A Owners & Netflix 4k/HEVC Codec

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Sony X9005A Owners & Netflix 4k/HEVC Codec

Hi as a current owner of the 2013 55X9005A, I am wondering what Sony is planning to do for us early adopters with regards to Netflix 4k/ HEVC H.265 Codec. I hope that we early adopters are not going to be left out in the cold !

73 REPLIES 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately for the X9005A owners, to be able to via 4K on Netflix and Amazon Instant Video, you will need to purchase the FMP-X5.  You cannot change the boards inside to make it a B model.

Cheers

reggiedunlop
Explorer

Too bad... thanks anyway for the info.

My girl called Sony Switzerland, and they told her that she needed to have the FMP-X5 in order to get the update... and that she should contact them once she received it to schedule the appointment.

Now I have to call and sort this mess out (in my extremely poor German)...

I must admit, this whole 4k-HDMI-HEVC story has kind of taken the excitement out of getting a cool new 65" toy.

I have the fmp-x5 and netflix works ok.

What would be cool is if they allowed other apps available on the box, so far it's just netflix and something called video player that allows you to play 4k mp4 files, not mkv.

I hope they will bring 4k youtube and let us use the box for what we want and need, for so far it's just an expensive netflix box, doing very little for us. Or that somebody figures out how to modify the box.

Kind of regretting being a early adopter. had the tv for over a year and havn't had any real 4k experiences with it. just big tv that promises alot and brings little to the table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im under the impression that Amazon Instant Video (4K) has been added to the FMP-X5 now?

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
pmclaughlin
Explorer

Your impression would be wrong. I even refreshed internet content and check it was the lastest firmware, and the box is still very much, only any use for Netflix(not even Sony's 4K video unlimited is supported), and even then, the selection is so scant on Netflix, it feels like a product that should have been given away and funded by their 4K TV marketing budget.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

Im checking with Sony now when it should be available.  I posted in a thread (see below) for february (but thought it got added early).  Anyhow, ill post back when I know the correct information (appologies). 

In regards to 4K content.  I have to agree - there simply isnt enough 4K content on either Netflix or Amazon.

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/4k-amazon-instant-video/m-p/1857274

Cheers

reggiedunlop
Explorer

It'sofficial...Sony Switzerland has refused to do the upgrade without the purchase of an FMP-X5.

They have a process in place which can only be kicked off with a puchase.

I have been to tech support, the online shop, the hotline, both on the phone and via email... I even tracked down a Sony rep in a local media shop... I am now so frustrated that I might just buy one, get the upgrade, then return it. 

A couple of the customer service reps have been painful to deal with... overall, this has been a pretty crappy experience.  I don't sse myself buying another Sony device...

Do I understand correctly that this hardware upgrade is the only way to get my TV up to HDMI 2.0 standards?  If I want to watch 4k content greater than 24 frames per second over HDMI, I need this upgrade... regardless of the source?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reggiedunlop wrote:

Do I understand correctly that this hardware upgrade is the only way to get my TV up to HDMI 2.0 standards?

I believe so, however maybe someone that has already had the upgrade can confirm?  Try going through the following page and see what happens : https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/4k-hardware-upgrade

reggiedunlop wrote: If I want to watch 4k content greater than 24 frames per second over HDMI, I need this upgrade... regardless of the source?

You only need the upgrade and FMP-X5 if you want to watch Netflix in 4K or soon to be Amazon Instant Video in 4K.  This is because the 2013 4K TVs do not have support of the HEVC codec of which is needed to stream 4K content from those services.  Also, you can play personal XAVC-S movies from a camcorder or hard drive

The following file formats are supported :

FMP-X5 - File Formats.jpg

For more information see:

http://helpguide.sony.net/hv/fmpx5/v1/en/index.html

Cheers

jipeey
Explorer

Hello,

I don't have Amazon Instant video on my FMP-X5, do you know if there is country limitations?
Maybe there is no acknowledgment in France?

Thanks
profile.country.en_GB.title
pmclaughlin
Explorer

No, I'm in the UK and there is still no sign of any firmware updates or enhancements to the FMP-X5 to bring Amazon Prime 4K functionality to it here, either.

I'm wondering if the TVs internal Amazon prime App supports the 4K content, and that's why the firmware never materialized, because unless they actually use h.265 on amazon prime, then the 4K content could well be delivered using h.264 like the youtube app. That, or unless we need to add some specific storage device, to make it more like the FMP-X10.

In fact, I did wonder if the internal bay for the FMP-X10 HDD is still present and useable inside the FMP-X5.