Join now - be part of our community!

Sony X9005A Owners & Netflix 4k/HEVC Codec

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Sony X9005A Owners & Netflix 4k/HEVC Codec

Hi as a current owner of the 2013 55X9005A, I am wondering what Sony is planning to do for us early adopters with regards to Netflix 4k/ HEVC H.265 Codec. I hope that we early adopters are not going to be left out in the cold !

73 REPLIES 73
orakevin
Explorer

Not only did I make the mistake of buying a Sony X9005A, I did so in Ireland where even if Amazon had a 4K feed I could not watch it.  This one may have been my third Sony TV (not to mention my wife's laptop, smartphone, or my reciever) but it will be my last Sony purchase ever.

And that FMP-X5?  God, what a joke.  Hundreds of euro for a Netflix player...

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi there,

I posted earlier in this thread as I am also the poor owner of a X9005A.

I have come to terms with the fact that it is still a great looking and sounding TV. Regarding the 4K functionality there are two answers. Hopefully 4K optical disc players will be around soon which will plug straight in to HDMI port 4 and the result will be better than anything streamed in any case. Also, 4K camcorders are available which I intend to make use of in the near future.

It is frustrating that it has been nigh on impossible to watch any 4K on these sets at all but I for one cannot afford to replace mine so soon only then to have to fork out for fibre broadband and Netflix / Amazon membership to watch a limited supply of material to boot.

Just saying

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.en_GB.title
pmclaughlin
Explorer

@orakevin

After about 15months with the TV, I would 'now' take issue with your assertion, that you made a “mistake”. Once you've forgotten about costs and the extras like the FMP-X5, I think you'd find it hard to criticize the quality of the TV as a 2013 product. The upscaling is jaw dropping; even when excluding the mastered in 4K stuff, and the 4K picture is sublime with the correct netflix content.

The tv has great aesthetics, the sound is in a league of its own for flat panel screens, and the picture quality is amazing. Coupled with low latency for gaming, and great 3D, I'd doubt there is as good or fully featured a 4K screen from 2013 out there. Hopefully 4K Amazon prime will arrive on the FMP-X5, but if it doesn't, it is still a great TV, and it will be amazon's loss.

blinxster
New

You say you 'take issue' the posters assertion but he is right to be annoyed,  just as I am.

It is indeed a great TV but I bought this item based on the premise it would be future-proofed for 4k. This factual information came directly from the marketing manager at Wimbledon 2014 when 4K trials were being run.

I have spent the past four months trying to get this TV upgraded which Sony's website says is required for use for their 4K sream box. I have been pushed around from pillow to post. In fact it got so far as my TV was collected for the upgrade but returned to me a few days later with absolutely nothing done to it. I have been to my credit card company under section 75 who also say they can't help me and Sony will arrange the upgrade - Pushed straight back to square one for about the fourth time!!!

I have today contacted them and given them 14 days to fix this once and for all otherwise I will contact the financial services authority.

I was miss sold this item however good it is.

I have wasted so much time, taken time off work. Horrid customer loyalty. I will never buy a Sony product again after this eventually gets resolved

I paid for a 4K TV and I  want a 4K TV.

ruipedrocunha

Hi everyone,

I read this thread before buying an X9005B for christmas 2014. I figured Sony had gotten their act together with the X9005B after the X9005A's HEVC fiasco. I was mistaken.

The X9005B does have HEVC support, I have watched HEVC video clips downloaded from the internet on a PC and saved on a USB PEN. You'd be wrong in assuming the user manual says the X9005B has HEVC support. It doesn't even mention HEVC or H.265.

From my experience it cannot decode HEVC from broadcast TV channels. I have been trying to watch a 4K channel called "FunBox4K" for many months, have asked repeatedly for Sony support, and after 7 months all I got from them was a "there is no problem with your TV, it's the broadcaster's fault".

The TV decodes the sound, but not the video.

I know for a fact that this 4K channel is broadcast using DVB-T2 and coded using HEVC.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Kind Regards,

Rui

J-star

Hi all I have the X9005A as an early adopter in the UK, thankfully it appears I don't need the hardware upgrade to the HDMI4 port according to the Sony support site after inputting my serial number.

However, I don't want to buy the FMP-X5 player anyway.  Can I connect other 4k players to this port and watch 4k that way? Sky Q UHD for example?

Is there any other useful source of 4k like apple TV or PS4 yet?  Endlessly frustrating not having had a single 4K experience on this TV several years after buying it in part for that purpose even though it's a great TV in every other respect.

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@J-star

And anyone else on the X9005A bumpy road to the world of 4K !

Do not give up on this TV, I HAVE FINALLY SEEN IT, beautiful 4K in the flesh, nose right up to the screen and not one blurry pixel. As sharp as a set of Japanese Samurai swords. As defined as a full moon on a clear frosty night.

I eventually got a 4K camcorder and plugged it straight in (after recording some 4K material of course) and it has been worth the wait. The television has come home to mother.

It may be missing HDR but nevertheless now that Ultra HD Blu-ray players are available (if you can afford one at the minute) HDMI port 4 is ready and this television should come to life, from what I have seen anyway. I can't speak for streaming 4K as I have no internet speed to speak of, it will be compressed to within an inch of it's worth anyway.

In my opinion X9005A owners should be proud of their sets, I certainly am :slight_smile:

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
J-star

Ah this is good news indeed!

just today I ordered an Amazon Fire tv box so am also looking forward to my first 4K experience with the unit after owning it for years. Finally will be able to see what this 4K stuff is really all about at home and show it off maybe. Will report my findings here also. 

Good news

Bossgrimpeeper
Explorer

J-Star,

I own a 55x9005a which does not require hardware upgrade.

I'm looking to buy an Amazon fire tv box tomorrow, I see you have already bought one for use with your x9005a.

Can you confirm that 4k content streams fine through HDMI 4?

Cheers 

J-star

Hi,

I believe it did, though I don't remember being blown away by the image quality difference to be honest. I returned the fire TV soon after mainly because, despite being a subscriber to Amazon Prime, I found the selection pretty lacking, especially the 4K stuff, and I get most of my content through SkyHD (even though it's not 4K yet as far as I know). Basically while they may have a range of 4K content it was either too limited for me, or just wasn't stuff I personally wanted to watch. 

I'd recommend trying it out but keeping the packaging in case you decide to return it. I think Sky Q services offer some 4K and I might try that in future, or get a 4K bluray player. Best for me would be if Apple TV gave us 4K because that's where I rent most movies from -- I have a US and UK account there (Netflix UK selection is also pretty poor). 

Regards,

Jeff