Join now - be part of our community!

Cleaned hard drive

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
chrjenki32
Visitor

Cleaned hard drive

Hi All, The problem I have is that I have totally wipped everything off my hard drive. I'm now trying to install windows 7 on to my laptop but it only gets so far (not very far) before I can't get it to go no further.

I click on install and it starts, then comes up with "select the driver to be installed" but there is no list and the scan brings up nothing. I don't have a clue what I'm looking for, but have a strange feeling it can't find the hard drive.

I hope someone can help me get this going again, I have a VAIO VGR-NR21M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Chris,

I must admit that I'm not sure what the problem is as under normal circumstances the installation process should create a partition, but I suggest that you download a partitioning utiity such as Cute Partition Manager and make sure you have a C partition, and if not create it...

http://www.cutepm.com/

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi chryenki32,

Try entering the BIOS at boot (tap F2) and check whether the hard drive is recognised.

What was the reason for wiping the drive – was there an underlying problem or did you just want to install a new OS?

Also can you confirm that the message displayed is "select the driver to be installed" or is it possibly “select the drive to install to”?

You could also try tapping F10 at boot when you see the Vaio logo in the hope that the hidden recovery partition is intact – this, if available, should open the recovery utility which will reinstall the original OS.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
chrjenki32
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I just wanted to clear everything as I was going to give the laptop to a friend.

Right, when I turn it on you see the vaio screen then just comes up with "Invalid partition table"

Nothing happens when I press F10

When I  press F2 it does say hard disk drive 200GB, which I take is totally empty with nothing what so ever on it or it would be 195GB or something?

When I insert a copy of windows 7 it comes up "windows is loading files" when that is done it says "starting windows" then it comes onto a install windows box where I choose the language, time and keyboard, click next and it comes  up "Install now" which I click on, then it says "set up is starting" where it starts to load, then the license terms which I tick and click next, which now comes to the type of installation you want.

Upgrade - I can't as I have nothing now on the hard drive.

Custom - where it asks "where do you want to install windows" but I have no list to choose where I want it to go. When I click Load driver it just comes up with "To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installaion media containing the driver files, and the click ok"

I have downloaded a few drivers, although when clicked on ok, they have'nt been found, so they must be the wrong drives that I have.

Chris

Message was edited by: chrjenki32

Vista was pre-installed when I bought the laptop, not that that should make any difference now!!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Chris,

I am guessing that you have removed all partitions from the drive. See whether this link is of help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52291-partition-hard-drive-windows-7-install.html

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
chrjenki32
Visitor

Hi Rich,

No, thats no help as on part 2 it does'nt search for installation updates and just says,

"The computer started using the windows installation disc, Remove the installation disc and restart your computer so that windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation disc and restart the upgrade. (Do not "select  Custom (advanced)" to perform an upgrade. "Custom (advanced)" installs a new copy of windows and deletes your programs and settings.)"

There is no way to restart apart from switching it off and because there is nothing on the hard drive there is nothing to find and no windows to start normally, it just go's back to the "Invalid partition table"

Chris

Message was edited by: chrjenki32

I think I need a drive for the hard drive to run so that I can just install windows 7 on to the hard drive but I'm not sure as I don't really have a clue.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Chis,

Is this an upgade only version of Windows that requires an existing OS to be installed?

If not then on part 2 try the 'Do not get the latest updates for installation' option.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
chrjenki32
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I'm not sure, It's windows 7 ultimate, it does'nt say upgrade only version on it.

I've plugged an external in and it finds that and will install onto that by the looks of it, although I don't have enough space to try it.

Chris

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

In that case try skiping the update option - this is bound to fail as you will have no Internet connection...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
chrjenki32
Visitor

It's just that I cant find the hard drive to save it onto

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Chris,

I must admit that I'm not sure what the problem is as under normal circumstances the installation process should create a partition, but I suggest that you download a partitioning utiity such as Cute Partition Manager and make sure you have a C partition, and if not create it...

http://www.cutepm.com/

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat