Join now - be part of our community!

Multiple finger touch fails on Sony Vaio Duo 11 with Ubuntu 12.10 (N-Trig DuoSense MultiTouch)

profile.country.el_GR.title
ktogias
Visitor

Multiple finger touch fails on Sony Vaio Duo 11 with Ubuntu 12.10 (N-Trig DuoSense MultiTouch)

Hi,

I recently purchased a Sony Vaio Duo 11 Ultrabook / Windows 8 tablet hybrid. For my work I need to use this device with Ubuntu Linux Operating system. Most devices are fully supported by linux kernel and ubuntu, but I have some trouble with the touchscreen. While ubuntu and Unity desktop environment support multitouch, and while N-Trig that is the manufacturer of the touch device mentions linux as a supported OS on its web page, I get some errors and an errorneous behaviour with it. I have described the issue at this bug report on ubuntu's bug tracker (launchpad).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/1121379

I am aware that the device comes with windows 8 OS and ubuntu or any other os is not officially supported, but I need ubuntu for my job and it is a pitty not to enjoy the full functionality of this wonderful harware from Sony, due to some misconfiguration or some nasty bug. I' d also like to mention that ubuntu OS is the 3rd most popular OS worldwide, with continusly increasing adoption by users. It would be good for Sony to be able to verify that its harware is fully functional with ubuntu, as this would broaden its customer base including people that would like to run ubuntu on Sony computing devices.

Any help, guidance or contribution from Sony or any memeber of sony community for further investigating and fixing this bug will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Message was edited by: ktogias

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ktogias and welcome.

This is a user forum and Sony do not actively monitor posts and never reply here.

A member of this user community may be able to offer help but I think you may need to contact Sony direct at Vaio Support and see if they can help. To contact Vaio Support go here:

http://www.sony.gr/support/el/contacts

Then click on the 'Vaio and Computing' section and a window will open for you to enter your Vaio's Serial Number. You will then be offered contact options.

Quite honestly, I doubt if Sony will offer any support for Ubuntu as it is not a supported OS but it is worth a try.

Let's hope another user can offer some help.

:thinking:

profile.country.el_GR.title
ktogias
Visitor

Thanks Biencogo for you response. I also doubt if Sony will respond to such an issue, but I have to try. On the other hand even the smallest and less time/resources consuming contribution on issues like this, would do only good to Sony's image and respect among opensource community.

I am going to contact support as you suggest.

For the moment, other memebers of this user forum/community that have Sony Vaio Duo 11 and would like to be able to run ubuntu on their gadget are kindly requested to visit the bug's page at launchpad and press the "affects me too" button. This will rise bug's "heat" and thus increase the possibilitty to be noticed by ubuntu developers and other technical community members.

I have also contacted N-Trig that manufactures the multitouch device. Let's all try so that this issue be quickly fixed.