Join now - be part of our community!

Need to use recovery disc, but Runtime error 70 won't give permission, Any ideas?

profile.country.en_GB.title
katziewill
Visitor

Need to use recovery disc, but Runtime error 70 won't give permission, Any ideas?

Whilst attempting to run my Vaio recovery disc, I get a message that says "Runtime Error 70" "Permission Denied" in a window Titled "VRU".    I'm running XP. and I'd be grateful for any  suggestions. Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi katziewill,

welcome to Club VAIO Questions & Answers forum..:smileyhappy:

What model Vaio do you have.?

Is your Vaio still running the original Sony supplied OS.?

Are these the recovery disc's that you created, if so, depending on your Vaio model have you tried using the hidden HDD recovery partition.?

katziewill
Visitor

Hi thalamus,

Thanks for replying.

My model No. is RS322, I see I bought it 6 years ago so its probably getting a bit long in the tooth now.

It's running the original OS as supplied.

The recovery disc is the original supplied by Sony.  I'm no expert so I have no idea of how to use the hidden HDD recovery partition.

The reason I wanted to use the recovery disc is because the computer has 2 drives, the 28 GB "C" drive only has 1.75 GB free (Giving the computer nothing to work with) whilst the 90 GB has 66 GB free, so I would like to transfer stuff from "C" to "D" but not sure if its as simple as dragging it across, so I thought the best way would be to start from scratch with a fresh "C" drive.

Hope you help

Much obliged

katziewill

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi katziewill,

restoring your Vaio is a rather drastic solution to your HD space problem..

Depending on the disc space occupied by your My Documents folder, a  possible quick solution would be to change the default location of your  My Documents folder, use the following guide for help on the procedure:

Click Start and then right click on Documents and then click Properties.

In the Document properties window click the location tab then click on Move.

In the destination box select a location on your D drive for your Documents folder, for example D:\My Documents, and then click Select Folder

Finally click on OK followed by Yes to confirm..

Here is further information if needed - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

katziewill
Visitor

Hi thalamus,

Many thanks, your suggestion worked a treat and it increased my "C" drive free space to 7.96GB.

Of course it didn't solve my original Runtime error but if you say it's not worth pursuing I'd obviously take your advice. It's just that my Recovery disc is useless.

Once again thank you very much!

katziewill

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Many thanks, your suggestion worked a treat and it increased my "C" drive free space to 7.96GB.

You're welcome..:smileyhappy:

Of course it didn't solve my original Runtime error but if you say it's not worth pursuing I'd obviously take your advice. It's just that my Recovery disc is useless.

No it doesn't..

Did you try and run the recovery disc's when the Vaio was running or did you start your Vaio with the disc's in the CD/DVD drive.?

katziewill
Visitor

Hi thalamus,

I did both and got the same result on each,  (the second attempt was on a reboot not a start up, does that make a difference?)

Cheers

katziewill

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

(the second attempt was on a reboot not a start up, does that make a difference?)

No it would not make a difference..

Are you still wanting to recover your VAIO back to factory settings.?

katziewill
Visitor

Hi thalamus.

No, I don't need to set back to factory settings now you've given me so much free space on my "C" drive, it's just that it would be good to have the disc working if the need arose in the future. ( I did set it back once before but it was such a pain to reload all the stuff again, that I thought " Only do this if it's a dire emergency")

If you don't think it's worth sorting out the Runtime error, I'll take yor advice and forget it.

Cheers

katziwill

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

No, I don't need to set back to factory settings now you've given me so much free space on my "C" drive, it's just that it would be good to have the disc working if the need arose in the future.

Ok leave it with me and I'll try to investigate further what could be causing the run time error problem..

In the meantime have you tried ressetting your BIOS back to default settings.?

If not here is a small guide on how to reset your BIOS..

To do reset the BIOS restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F2 key repeatedly..

To exit the BIOS press F9 to reset the BIOS to default and press F10 to save and exit..