Join now - be part of our community!

Speaker noise using VGA & headphone lineout on VGN-FW31J

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jimmyharris80
Visitor

Speaker noise using VGA & headphone lineout on VGN-FW31J

Hi All,

My parents installed a home entertainment system including a Vaio VGN-FW31J over a year ago and since day one have had a buzzing noise come from all four external speakers when the laptop is plugged into the system using a VGA cable for video and serial line out cable for audio.

Having just returned from abroad and taken a look at the system I've now narowed the fault down to the laptop.  The same noise does not occur when I plug in my Samsung laptop via the same cables or my iPod via the audio cable so there is definitely something up with the machine.

The laptop is now out of warrantee (purchased Feb 2009) so I was just wondering what the possible solutions to this problem could be.  My local Sony Centre basically palmed me off saying there was nothing they could do as it was out of warrantee and told me to check out Vaio online so here I am.  Are there any firmware update that may fix the problem or is it a case of getting (and paying!) for an authorised service partner to take a look at the machine?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Jimmyharris80,

welcome to Club VAIO Questions & Answers Forum..:smileyhappy:

The problem you describe sounds like a ground loop problem, try these possible solutions...

Make sure the power and audio leads are kept as far apart as possible..

Purchase good quality shielded audio cables..

Or you may also want to try using a Ground Loop Isolator...

Something like this may hopefully help: Ground Loop Isolator

Further reading can be found using this link - http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Jimmyharris80,

welcome to Club VAIO Questions & Answers Forum..:smileyhappy:

The problem you describe sounds like a ground loop problem, try these possible solutions...

Make sure the power and audio leads are kept as far apart as possible..

Purchase good quality shielded audio cables..

Or you may also want to try using a Ground Loop Isolator...

Something like this may hopefully help: Ground Loop Isolator

Further reading can be found using this link - http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/