Join now - be part of our community!

NW A45 cannot create playlist from the device

profile.country.GB.title
noplanes
New

NW A45 cannot create playlist from the device

I have successfully transfered songs but am unable to create a playlist on the device. The instructions say there are two ways to add a song to playlist - neither work for me and I get an error message saying no playlists are available, please connect to compliant software and transfer playlist. 

I am not looking to transfer an existing playlist, just to create one.

41 REPLIES 41
profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi noplane,

I believe you can create playlists using Music Centre software. Have you tried this method? I found the following article explaining this topic: https://bit.ly/2Bxn16n

Let us know if this works.

Thanks,

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
Ian2019

My NWA has over 10,000 songs on it with a 512 GB micro SD card.

Now all I want to do is create playlists using selections from them. It seems that is impossible to do? I have the Music Centre on my Windows PC but unless I copy files from it, I can't create a playlist. And if I do I can't add files to it, or edit it in any way from the Walkman. All of my files are stored on a Mac system and the Music Centre does not run on that. 

In short, unless I copy files from the Music Centre on a Windows PC I can't create or edit playlists? And adding files that are already on the Walkman is impossible. 

Is the above correct? I find it hard to believe. What is the point of having "add file to playlist" on the Walkman if it does not work? If so, the usefulness of the Walkman has just diminished greatly. I bought it specifically to use LDAC with the Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. Every other device I have has a playlist function that works.

I hope I am missing something and someone will tell me how to create playlists using files already on the Walkman. 

HELP!!!

profile.country.GB.title
igiwigi

Hi

I have the same problem

I have all files on a SD card and cannot make a playlist from them in music centre.

I connect my Walkman and start Music Centre.

No luck at all.

It seems that you need the music on computer to transfer accross.

I want to make the playlist from the SD card on my Walkman using a computer and preferably Music Centre.

Any help as this is also driving me nuts.

All the best

John

profile.country.GB.title
Ian2019

Still the same, no progress. 

I have found a sort of workaround. Which is to create a folder in the built in memory and then copy a playlist into that. Then to select that folder and use play / random / repeat and I more or less get the same functionality. I can get quite a few playlists with 100 titles in them. All are CD quality or higher, so that will have to do for now. 

Is not good though and not what I expect from Sony. Am contemplating the new upcoming higher end walkman - £750 - that's a big sum for me. But if it too cannot do sensible playlist functions then I probably won't go for it. I have no intention of using Sony's Music Centre software. I already have Roon, JRiver and the like and am not switching away from them (Roon is far and away my preferred system). 

Sadly, I do not expect any reply from Sony about this. 

profile.country.GB.title
igiwigi

Hi
I have found a way to create playlists.

Firstly my whole collection of music is on a “D”drive on my Computer
I point Music Centre to the collection.
Transfer all songs to the Walkman’s USB drive, so as not to block the internal memory of the walkman
I use a 64 gig card.

Once all song recognized by Music Centre go to manage songs on Walkman which you see opposite your recognized list.
This opens up and then go down to playlists and create new Or--------

once you have a playlist created go to songs in the list on your Walkman and at the end of the song on the line it is printed is a drop down and then you can add to playlist

OR---- choose a playlist you already have and do the same.
The only thing i get is song doubles for some reason when creating playlists and have to keep deleting the doubles, otherwise simple to create playlists.
All other ways are too complicated or do not work.

All the Best
John
profile.country.GB.title
Ian2019

Thanks John

My library is on a NAS drive and is large so I can't follow your first method. I have tried creating a playlist on Music Centre and then transferring so I can add to it on the Walkman - all I get then is "Playlist is not editable". 

If the Walkman would simply allow creating of a playlist and then adding racks to it from the SD card in the Walkman, all would be well. Or alternatively using M3U files for the playlists which is more or less standard way of doing things. 

profile.country.GB.title
distyl

Hello lan2019 and everyone else contributing to the playlist problem.

I have found a very simple way to create playlists. I use a Mac, but should work the same way on a PC.

1. Create an empty text file (without any text in it) and name it anything that you want, plus the extension .m3u, for example "Classical Baroque Favorites.m3u". Make sure you save the file as plain text, not rich text.

2. Copy the file (or several of those files) to the /MUSIC folder in the Walkman's System Storage. Make sure you don't copy it in a subfolder, because then the playlist will show up as not editable.

3. Then use the "Add to Playlist" on the Walkman to add any song to the playlist.

NOTE:

For easy access of my playlists, I use a dash in front of the m3u filename, so all my playlists show up on top.

For example, I would name the above playlist "-Classical Baroque Favorites.m3u".

profile.country.GB.title
igiwigi

Hi

Firstly put all of your music on a large drive .

If you have a computer  put the music you have all in their correct  Pop , Rock  folders etc or just a single line of songs.

You could put all your music on a Terrabyte USB drive .

You can put music on any drive as long as Music centre knows where it is. KEEP IT THERE.

Go to latest MUSIC CENTRE and  IMPORT all your collection into the SONG section.

So now MUSIC CENTRE  knows where the collection is, be it on your computer or USB.

Transfer (TRANSFER TO DEVICE) your collection to your device SONY WALKMAN.

Scroll down to PLAYLIST and  and press +CREATE NEW and name new playlist.

Go back to SONGS on PC And choose a song.

Goto the end of the song line where the 3 dots are and open by clicking on it.

You can now add that song to your newly created playlist.

You can also highlight all songs and go to the 3 dots and send the lot to playlist.

Hope this helps all.

All the Best

John

profile.country.GB.title
ianoakley
Explorer

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, I managed to add a few songs from the internal memory to the playlist then it suddenly decided it doesn't want to do that any more and I get the "cannot add to playlist" message so I can only do it by connecting to the PC.

Basically it's useless as it doesn't do what Sony claim so I'll contact them for a replacement or refund.