Who Me Too'd this topic

FW update made my A7RII a piece of junk - can I return it? Iris issue.

I recently moved from Canon to a complete Sony setup. I got the A6300, the A7RII etc. I did this as a result of reviews and my own tests. Everyting was good. Then I upgraded the firmware of my A7RII and my Sony FE 55m F/1.8 ZA. Now the camera is about as useful as a paper weight.

Here is the problem: With the new firmware, the A7RII stops down the aperture to taking aperture before focusing. I don't know why. No other camera manufacturer would be stupid enough to do this. Why is this a problem? Simple. Do:

in a normally lit room
set your camera to Aperture priority mode

set your focus to AF-C

set the f-stop to F/9

try to focus

This should apply to the Sony A7 series with the latest firmware, the FE 55mm F/1.8 with the latest firmware and both the G-master lenses.

It gets worse. In a dimly lit room, try the same. Can you focus past F/4? No, not really.

The insane thing is that this is not a new problem. It's been a problem for a long time, but not a single review site has caught it. DPReview noticed it at the company event for the new 50mm the other day, and they put it in a footnote in their article. A FOOTNOTE. That the A7RII can't focus inside with that lens. At all! I mean - talk about being bought and paid by Sony!

Who Me Too'd this topic